15 posts in this topic

Could be some early fish in the mix with a partial spawn going on this week, wouldn't surprise me to be 14-10 days earlier than usual this year. The big spawn will still happen over the next 3 weeks but fish from the northern bay and <acronym title="Virginia">VA</acronym> could cruise by the delmarva beaches in the next 10 days. If water temps stay up it may put them in range.

miserable bay fishing reports however, stocks are WAY down over past years. Fisheries mgt needs to get their hands out of the kitty and their heads out of their arses. RAPID decline since the heyday of the striper rebound 2002-2004 ish.

Could be some early fish in the mix with a partial spawn going on this week, wouldn't surprise me to be 14-10 days earlier than usual this year. The big spawn will still happen over the next 3 weeks but fish from the northern bay and <acronym title="Virginia"><acronym title="Virginia">VA</acronym></acronym> could cruise by the delmarva beaches in the next 10 days. If water temps stay up it may put them in range.

If anyone would know, it would be Ben. Thanks buddy.

some fish with spotted tails hit delmarva last week as well...about a month early...got my attention for sure.

Stripers hit the upper bay very very early this year. It was looking to be a good one with several fish in the 45-50 pound range caught on the Susquehanna flats. Then it rained for 3 days and Conowingo dam went into spill condition (meaning flood gates where open) This seemed to shut rockfishing down, and the few early Herring dispersed. Water temps quickly rose to as much as 60 in some spots last week during the warm spell. Fish are being caught on the flats and sandy point that have already spawned. Shad are spawing at the Mouth of Deer Creek. Herring has been very very scarce this year. I have yet to see any milling around the bulkheads. I keep hearing that the best is yet to come, but I am hoping the run this year is not a bust

The stripers were thick around tangier island about three weeks ago, according to a comercial netter i ran into. He was telling about all the boats there and the thousands of pounds of fish harvested. Most in the 20 to 40 lb range. And when it finally starts, i can keep 1 fish ? John

Thanks Ben. Been waiting for your "run" predictions again this year.:icon_salut:

i think i'm going out in the bay this sunday, hopefully we hook into something big. if i go(if i get up) i'll post a report.

Could be some early fish in the mix with a partial spawn going on this week, wouldn't surprise me to be 14-10 days earlier than usual this year. The big spawn will still happen over the next 3 weeks but fish from the northern bay and <acronym title="Virginia">VA</acronym> could cruise by the delmarva beaches in the next 10 days. If water temps stay up it may put them in range.

miserable bay fishing reports however, stocks are WAY down over past years. Fisheries mgt needs to get their hands out of the kitty and their heads out of their arses. RAPID decline since the heyday of the striper rebound 2002-2004 ish.

Stocks are down? You wouldn't know it fishing the Delaware Bay.

IMO, the striper stocks are too high. Witness the rapid decline of the seatrout which coincided exactly with the boom in the striper population. Fisheries biologists blame the seatrout decline on natural predation, not overfishing. What do you think has been eating all of the trout?

IMO, the striper stocks are too high. Witness the rapid decline of the seatrout which coincided exactly with the boom in the striper population. Fisheries biologists blame the seatrout decline on natural predation, not overfishing. What do you think has been eating all of the trout?

i guess that's the balance of mother nature. it's never really quite balanced. the more i think about it mother nature is definately a drinker

Are you sure it isn't because the bunker population is down due to over fishing that are causing the Striper to eat trout and crabs instead of their preferred diet of bunker?

IMO I too think that the decline is due to the bunker numbers that are being harvested.

From what we caught last year and from what I have seen this year so far, there are indeed some good numbers of fish, but they don't seem to be as healthy as they were in years past.

I think it is those protected sharks (dogfish??) that have led to the decline in the numbers of trout. The rockfish I feel are probably shifting their primary food source due to the harvesting of the bunker.

Could be some early fish in the mix with a partial spawn going on this week, wouldn't surprise me to be 14-10 days earlier than usual this year. The big spawn will still happen over the next 3 weeks but fish from the northern bay and <acronym title="Virginia">VA</acronym> could cruise by the delmarva beaches in the next 10 days.

thanks for making me look good Sam...right on que 10 days after I posted...now that's just luck!

My pleasure! Keep the predictions coming. :icon_thumright: