9 posts in this topic

Going to Charleston SC (isle of palms) on May 1st-8th, I plan on doing a little bit of surf fishing again. I really want to pull in a good shark this time. Is there any advice someone could give me? What you use rigs and bat wise!!! I live on a small lake and it is over loaded in bate fish, I was thinking of catching a few and freezing them. Maybe even soaking them in something for a day then freezing them. I could be wrong for that, it just seems if I have a fish with enough nasty funk on it something will want to eat it. ha ha. let me know guys!!! Thanks! :coffee2:

The time is drawing near! Does anyone have any input for me? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Never fished there...Sorry wish I knew where to point you. Find a good hole in the wall tackle shop and ask what and where would be my best suggestion.

It is always better to "Match the Hatch" when it comes to shark fishing. I would try to find out what kind of bait fish is prevalent in that area. You might also try hitting the local marinas to see if they have fish cleaning stations. If so, ask if you can use the "scraps" left behind. Bloodline, tuna bellies, mackerel heads, etc.. are excellent in my experience. If you are new to shark fishing, check out Beach Shark Fishing.

Also check the regulations on which county you will be fishing in. I know for sure horry county prohibits all types of shark fishing.

i've traveled to charleston for the past couple of years and have found a great bait/tackle shop. Haddrell's Point is the shop I was taken to by a local Mt. Pleasant friend and they were great. The guys in there are very helpful, even to tourists, and can guide you on baits and rigs. As for baits, Haddrell's has fresh bait of all types that works in the area. From my experience fishing the Low Country, Sullivan's Island is much better than Isle of Palms. Sullivan's has much better structure and is closer to the channel. Plus only locals head there so you won't have to worry about a crowd around you. To get there from Isle of Palms, just head south on Palm BLVD and cross over the Sullivan Island Inlet, from there I'd head down towards Fort Moultrie. But really any place from the inlet on is a great spot. I fished between Station 23 and 26 1/2 streets and there was great structure out there. I was there too early in the season and was too eager to wet a line so I didn't catch anything. Good luck out there, Charleston is a great southern town. Below is the link for Haddrell's.

Haddrell's Point - Shimano, Penn, G. Loomis, Star Rods, Fishing Tackle, Rods, Reels, Lure, Line, Clothing and Gifts

Jim, excellent thought...

Armyangler, what was the water temp?

last time i was there was early March. apparently the water was in the mid 50s, and has risen about 10 degrees since then.

Thanks for all the info guys! I’ll be heading to IOP in the morning. Some good news is my fiancé’s uncle lives in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Charleston</st1:place></st1:City> and he was taking that whole week off to go fishing. I will defiantly hook up with him some. I’m not sure of witch fish and witch pier, but I know he holds two records for the biggest fish at one of the piers. I’ll take plenty of pictures to keep you updated! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

:eusa_dance: