14 posts in this topic

So early Sunday morning I was slowly lifting my 12ft rod and dragging my bait (shrimp) and 4oz weight across the bottom. when the tip would get all the way up, I would reel it back down and then slowly repeat the process...essentially out of bordom, and because I was a little cold so it was nice to have something to do.

So i'm bringing it in, and all of a sudden- it's stuck. Not really like in the lake where if you catch something it slowly brings up tension as you pull harder on it. This was just...stuck. Figured the surf had pushed it under something...

But, I'm in the ocean? So what the hell am I stuck on?

I've been casting in this spot all weekend, and never had any issue. So, I pull, and pull, and pull. I'm putting A LOT of force into my rod. Getting nervous I'm going to break it the thing is bent over double, I could easly pull a fairly large hunk of wood through the water...I've got 20lb test w/ 80lb shock leader, so I know I can put a fair bit of force on it.

So after pulling for 5 min. with no success, I start to let the line go slack, like you do when bass fishing, to let the sinker or hook de-lodge itself. No good.

After 15 more min of me walking up and down the beach trying various angles, I let it go completely slack walk back to the sand spikes and other rods, reel up the slack, and really pull. Then, it kinda moves and instantly comes free. Not broken, no damage to the sinker or hook (2/0 circle), no damage to shock leader.

So, I tell my friend about this (a long time Maryland surf fisherman) and he thinks I wasn't stuck at all- he thinks it was a big ray or skate, possibly buried itself in the sand. And now I'm kicking myself, because at least that would have been something for the photo album.

What do you guys think? A bunch of BS? Or could I actually have had something? Ever heard of this happening? Or of people getting stuck on the camping beaches at AI????? It's been bugging me since I got back...something just doesn't make sense...

Problabe was one corner of the " bermuda triangle " and now is a mistery !!!

Sorry, I don't have nothing to say ...:fucyc:

I would guess you were caught on some type of debris.

a huge ray is a very slim possibility, but I would put money on debris. A skate? no way!

x2 on the debris. i caught a nice 48" piece of driftwood one time, twas kind of let down after seeing it come up but oh well

Water is a little too cold for rays at this point and if you hook into one, you would know it.

I would concur on the debris....maybe a big piece of ...something...and when you went on an angle and let the line slack...the current dislodged it. i will say, however, while my buddy was sleeping iin his chair this weekend, i decided to reel in his line, and about 20 feet into the wash a Dogfish hit it and landed him...never had that happen before.

good idea on letting your line go slack....sometimes, when you do have a big ray, they do lie on the bottom until you stop pulling on them. Still a little cold for the cow-nose ray 20 minute long arm workout however:happy10:

I would concur on the debris....maybe a big piece of ...something...and when you went on an angle and let the line slack...the current dislodged it. i will say, however, while my buddy was sleeping iin his chair this weekend, i decided to reel in his line, and about 20 feet into the wash a Dogfish hit it and landed him...never had that happen before.

good idea on letting your line go slack....sometimes, when you do have a big ray, they do lie on the bottom until you stop pulling on them. Still a little cold for the cow-nose ray 20 minute long arm workout however:happy10:

Yeah, I guess there's that!

Well, I guess I'll go with my first instinict: I got hung up. Most excitment I had this weekend surf fishing, hahahaha

Thank guys-

Yeah, I guess there's that!

Well, I guess I'll go with my first instinict: I got hung up. Most excitment I had this weekend surf fishing, hahahaha

Thank guys-

Getting hung up is better than I did this weekend!

You never know what you are going to catch or snag in the surf, case in point, i'm a retired firefighter, fishing 8nbait at cape point several years ago, i "caught" a 25' section of fire hose with one brass coupling. Didn't put up much of a fight.

I HAD to go back and find this thread because something similar happened to me last weekend. I got a really nice hit around dawn last Sunday. I set the hook and the drag started buzzing away as the thing started to run. I reeled it in a bit, it ran a bit and this repeated for about 15 minutes. Then, somehow, I got hung up! I let it go slack, worked it up and down the beach trying to unsnag it to no avail. After another 20 minutes, I ended up breaking the line. SO DISSAPOINTING! My only bite in the 3 hours or so I had to fish (before meeting back with the wife and baby for breakfast). Jeez, I need to get back out there. Anywho, I had to share. Happy fishing!

Hondo

definately a ray. i was in obx 2 weeks ago, and I had was fishing at about 9:45 at night, when wham- fish on. took a moderate run, then all of a sudden, the thing just took off- peeled off 150+ yards of line without even slowing a little (I could almost see my backing by the time it was done). the spool was spinning so fast that I accidentally touched it adjusting the drag and it instantly burned my finger.

after about 15 min of this, me getting it back in about 75 yards, simply by reeling like hell as it came back in towards the beach, all of a sudden- it just stopped. like i was hooked to the back of a car.

and there i was, a perfect repeat of what happened at assateague. I pulled and pulled for ~45 min, every ~10 min it would get up and move about 10-20 yards, and then sit back down. I never made any progress at all. I had 30lb braid and a 12 footer and I couldn't do anything.

finally the 50lb mono leader broke, all tore up somehow. my right bicep was so sore for 3 days, and I'm a triathlete- pretty in shape guy.

so, you had a ray that just burried itself in the sand. nothing you can do but wait em' out, and hope they're not too big for your gear.

EDIT: to put this in perspective Hondo, I caught a 17lb 29x33 inch ray the next morning, and it did the same thing, just i could overpower it. so you probably had a fairly large one, as I did.

same thing happened to me... peeled off line. turned it around and it sat and it wouldnt move.:angry8:

those rays are the hardest fighting thing you can catch in the surf. They are a true test for your knots,gear,patience and skill.

When those large rays lay down on the bottom you won't move them. They best thing you can do is let your line go as slack as possible and they will lift themselves off the bottom.

Also, a trick that has worked VERY welll for me, especially if they are sucking down close to the wash, is to hold the line VERY tight, and pluck it hard like a guitar string, making the vibrations go down the line. If it is under their snout, I think it is kind of like tickling them and more times than not they will start swimming- its pretty sweet. Also, for the really stubborn ones, my buddy Jon walks out with a paddle from our yak and flips em like a pancake......haha that always gets them going.