37 posts in this topic

Fished with a couple friends today at AI. Had about 10 -12 rods in a line down the beach and it was absolutely dead. not a single bait was touched by anything. We had out clam, bunker and crab. We left some baits soaking for over 2 hours and they came back untouched. I never had clam last more than 20 minutes before. Not a good way to start off my 2010 surf fishing season.

Water temps are finally starting to warm up! A few days of N/W wind seemed to cool things off a bit, but with this S/E wind, things should start happening. We also have a few warmer days ahead of us, so get out and fish. If you catch fish, get a picture for your report. If you don't catch fish, keep researching. :icon_rabbit:

I got a call from Dad this afternoon. He said, "Sam, I've got two Carp on! Get down here and help me!"

So, I hopped in the truck and within a few minutes, I was holding one rod while Dad was fighting his fish with the other.

While perch fishing and using ultra light tackle, a ten pound Carp will give you quite a nice fight.

Well, I managed to get the second line tangled in some underwater structure and lost the fish.

Dad landed his in fine fashion!

maryland-carp..jpg.601aab3738bc630034d09

I got a call from Dad this afternoon. He said, "Sam, I've got two Carp on! Get down here and help me!"

So, I hopped in the truck and within a few minutes, I was holding one rod while Dad was fighting his fish with the other.

While perch fishing and using ultra light tackle, a ten pound Carp will give you quite a nice fight.

Well, I managed to get the second line tangled in some underwater structure and lost the fish.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9419[/ATTACH]

you should have had your dad paint a spot on the tail before you took the pic!

Went out to the honeypot yesterday and hooked in to some good size rock. First picture is a 34 incher and second one is a 35 incher. They both look quite similar but i promise there 2 different fish. Both of them were caught on bloodworms. I bought new bloodworms but whats funny is all the fish i caught were on the bloodworms i had left over from last week. They were half rotten and still worked. I don't even think i got a bite on the new bloodworms. All and all i had a great time.

5852a58fdb9dd_Rockapril2nd2010.jpg.902b8

has a problem with the first pic here it is

I am having some problems with attachments. Please email me the picture and I will place it in your post above. Thanks

Sam@atlanticanglers.com

Jsmoothie, nice rock! I can't top that report :icon_salut::icon_salut:

Sam, carp are fun on any rod! You ever go out solely for them? Corn on a hook (no weight) works like a champ.

As for me, I finally got out. My brother and I held somewhat of a Charles County fishing revival. We caught a limit of trout at myrtle grove, a few pike, and bass in about four hours. We were using rooster tail and blue fox spinners. After that we packed up the canoe and headed down the road to the Mattawoman where we went for some shad. The pictures from the troutin' is on my brothers camera. Here's one of a nice shad caught and released. Good fight on ultra-light.

IMAGE_069.jpg.9d9e28081cd2d099aa85e153f5

heard 2 caught in the surf zone the last couple days...low 30 inchers...wish I was fishin...getting over this dam bug I got!

Fished with a couple friends today at AI. Had about 10 -12 rods in a line down the beach and it was absolutely dead. not a single bait was touched by anything. We had out clam, bunker and crab. We left some baits soaking for over 2 hours and they came back untouched. I never had clam last more than 20 minutes before. Not a good way to start off my 2010 surf fishing season.

Give it a week or two...your bait will constantly be touched...skates, skates and doggies, doggies...you'll be wishing that you could keep em off the hook....ahhh spring fishing...woohoo!

heard 2 caught in the surf zone the last couple days...low 30 inchers...

Heard the same :icon_thumleft:

heading out monday morning to give it a go.

Went out to the honeypot yesterday and hooked in to some good size rock. First picture is a 34 incher and second one is a 35 incher. They both look quite similar but i promise there 2 different fish. Both of them were caught on bloodworms. I bought new bloodworms but whats funny is all the fish i caught were on the bloodworms i had left over from last week. They were half rotten and still worked. I don't even think i got a bite on the new bloodworms. All and all i had a great time.

[ATTACH]9421[/ATTACH]

I guess you were targeting catfish in that closed striper spawning area. I don't blame you. Pullage is pullage.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9419[/ATTACH]

Nice fish!!!!!

I guess you were targeting catfish in that closed striper spawning area. I don't blame you. Pullage is pullage.

As I heard someone refer to them the other day, striped catfish. That's the targeted species these days.

stripedcat2.jpg.cb088ce86e20a7b0eaa39125

Late post:

Mid Chessie Bay 4/1

52' of water

Water surface temp 49.8 degrees.

Fished 15 minutes

42" length, 27" girth female Striper with eggs.

Caught on White Mojo with 9" white Shad body.

(last week it was a chartreuse Mojo rig)

Had another take down while landing the 42" but was fishing solo, so I lost it.

It isn't easy fishing solo.

Held leader with left hand, net in right, couldn't get it in.

Figured I would reach in and grab her.

Concerned about going in the drink, I knelled and carefully pulled her out.

Striper.jpg.90ea488f60617e2e0dc696dcf11e

late post but went out on fri 4/2 and caught skate hitting on spot.nothing touched the bunker though

i know your were by yourself Steve...but during catch and release season...you really shouldnt net the fish...and let them lay on the deck....unhook 'em in the water with a de-hooking tool. Seriously helps with mortality rates.

Late post:

Mid Chessie Bay 4/1

52' of water

Fished 15 minutes

Nice Job, Steve!

i know your were by yourself Steve...but during catch and release season...you really shouldnt net the fish...and let them lay on the deck....unhook 'em in the water with a de-hooking tool. Seriously helps with mortality rates.

Do what is safe for YOU first. If you are by yourself (especially with 49 degree water temperatures) and feel uncomfortable leaning over the side of your boat to unhook a fish, net it.

I understand it is not good for a spawning fish to lay on her side, but the more comfortable you are the faster the release. Just my opinion. :icon_thumleft:

Nice fish!!!!!
They are thick too... Seem to have a taste for earthworms this spring. :)

This is loooooking pretty. S/E winds... :eusa_dance:

5852a59047179_delmarva-water-t101.jpg.c1

Our trip didn't start out too well, ...we broke down on the highway about 30 miles from home, and so we didn't get to AI until early (1:30am) friday.

Hit the AI beach friday, saturday, sunday. Fished 8-10 hours each day, with green crabs, shrimp, minnows, and gulp alive, mostly early mornings and evenings (till about 9:30pm). Had 2-4 rods going at all times.

1 5lb skate on saturday evening. That's it for official catches.

Lost something casting a 6" swim bait on a 2oz swim jig head early saturday morning, must have just been holding onto the plastic, as it was almost pulled off the hook when I brought it in. That was exciting at least.

1st time at AI, nice beach. Lots of out flows, and we had a good spot on the walkover from our campsite where there was a significant (500ft?) break in the 1st sand bar. Lots of wierd currents and cross waves.

Thank God for waders, as it was decently chilly, and very wet this last weekend. Very misty. My fiance' couldn't handle it, she was freezing the whole time, hence why we didn't fish through the night.

1 very suspicious happening that I will make a seperate thread about...

Greenmtnman, glad to see you got out!

Great job varying your baits. I would also suggest trying cut bunker with a fish finder rig.

Hit the beach for a few hours after work...threw clam and bunker and ended up catching skate.

Nice one Steve!!

Late post:

Mid Chessie Bay 4/1

52' of water

Fished 15 minutes