6 posts in this topic

I have tuesdays off and am making my first salt fishing trip of the year. I am torn between surf fishing off Henlopen or fishing indian river inlet.

I would appreciate some persuasion either way. I have all the gear necessary for both, and just want to get into some fish.

Choose my adventure!

Id go with IRI this time of year...if you are familiar with how to fish it.....lots of great structure...

Not really familiar with how to fish it. I know the area but never had a chance to fish there. Should I fish off the jettys or on the bay side of the bridge? What should I use?

usually, you fish the Eastern jettys on an outgoing tide, and the western jettys on an incoming tide. Thats because the fish "stack up" facing the current, waiting for bait to be swept over them. Outgoing tide..theyre usually located towards the moutn of the inlet...incoming tide, theyre usually located on the bay side of the inlet. I drift jigs with in line sinkers iof various weights attached, over the spots that hold fish. Others throw swim type baits like storm lures, eels, spoons, and sand fleas. its a tricky spot and you will loose a lot of tackle because of all the rocks in close to the jettys. Its also very dangerous, and you need metal spikes on your shoes (korkers), and i wear a life jacket when I venture outo the ocean side jettys. Its not the spot to "Dead stick" bait in a sand spike...and there is a very large learning curve. I would watch and see what others do....see whos catchin anything....that kind of thing....and notice how theyre fishing. Youll learn a lot that way. That said, im not familiar with henelopen..possibly someone else is.

Well I had a fun outing, braved the conditions but ended up with the skunk. Not surprising. High, muddy/murky water and ripping currents. Tried to fish the inlet some but nothing doing. One other fisherman walked to the sidewalk with his gear, looked at the water and turned around and left. I figured since I drove 2 hours I had nothing better to do than fish.

Moved north to a beach access and tried some surf fishing. Dumbass me forgot my 11' rod so I was trying to heave 5oz with an 8ft rod. I got it out there but nothing doing either. Rain didn't bother me, but the wind sucked.

Thanks for the info....next time youll get em. At IRI, its all about timing...The tides coresponding with evening / dusk / night. If you can get those conditions to correspond with the right fish in the area....you could do very well. Keep up the good work. p.s. trying to throw 5 oz. with an 8 foot rod....been there done that. Kind of like shooting an elephant with a BB gun.:BangHead: