14 posts in this topic

I was invited to go fishing with Capt. Monty aboard the Morning Star yesterday. I had been wanting to fish with the highly regarded Captain and his crew for a few years now and finally got the chance.

It was a blast! I have been on several charters and some were better than others, however I had never felt quite as welcome as did with this crew. Captain Monty not only showed extraordinary talent maneuvering his boat to get us in just the right "spot", he also came down and fished with us nearly the whole day.

Among the anglers aboard, I was honored to fish along side the current Golden Tilefish World Record holder, Dennis Muhlenforth.

(Picture from August 17, 2009)

wolrd-record-golden-tilefish-dennis-muhl

Of course, he outfished everyone. :)

Nearly every angler caught fish and I caught, tagged and released my first Codfish.

Sam-Kilgore-Captain-Monty.jpg.f851bdd530

Both mates also fished with the guests and were extremely friendly, fast and helpful throughout the entire trip. I am really looking forward to going out with Captain Monty and crew again in the near future and would highly recommend this charter to anyone looking for a fun, inexpensive day of offshore fishing.

The Morning Star

410-520-2076

I would also like to note that I have never met anyone so dedicated and passionate about improving Maryland's marine habitat as Captain Monty Hawkins.

Please take some time to learn about the Ocean City Reef Foundation by going to their website.

Congads , Sam that had to be awsome to go fishing with someone who is so highly regarded as Capt.Monty :icon_thumleft:

Glad you had a good time Sam! It was great to meet you, hope to see you on the beach this summer. Come visit us again!

Hi Sam, considering Mr and Mrs Tog were not in a cooperating mood, you handled it pretty good! Recently, I went cod fishing and my only cod was 10 inches. Yours was twice mine and you went tog fishing! Sir Monty doesn't post many pictures from his trips, in a way, I'm Glad!! Here R a few pics from 3 weeks ago. One was a 15 lb+ that didn't make it back, I also had one over 16 pounds that did! It truly was a dream trip! My bud Frank caught a 19 lbs 10 ounce Hog, just off the <ACRONYM title=Maryland><ACRONYM title=Maryland>Md</ACRONYM></ACRONYM> record by a pound a week earlier!

5852a58e5a78a_DreamGroupphoto.jpg.49e764

5852a58e6106c_HappybutSad.jpg.4ecaa7de55

Welcome aboard, Dennis!

Wow, those are some huge fish. Over 19 lbs... I can only imagine!

glad you had a good time Sam you deserve it.

Thanks Dave... We'll be hittin the beach soon! :)

how far do they go off the shore?? just wondering, never been on a boat in the ocean but really want to.

I'm not exactly sure how far we went out. If I had to guess, I would say 20-25 miles or so.

I'm not exactly sure how far we went out. If I had to guess, I would say 20-25 miles or so.

yea that'll work! i might have to go out on a trip this year

You won't regret it!