10 posts in this topic

Washed up whale in Del. had fractured skull - wtop.com

[video=youtube;k0mDuAZaoNQ]

FENWICK ISLAND, Del. - A necropsy of a 50-ton female Fin whale that washed ashore on Fenwick Island Friday afternoon found the extremely decomposed whale had a fractured skull.

Marine Education, Research & Rehabilitation Institute Executive Director Suzanne Thurman said Monday evening that the multiple fractures indicate a ship probably struck the 61-foot, adult female whale.

MERR, a non-profit organization that works to conserve marine mammals, conducted the necropsy after heavy equipment pulled the whale from the water about a half-mile north of the Fenwick Island State Park.

The Coast Guard first spotted the whale Wednesday morning about 4.5 miles off the Delaware coast. Thurman says her group waited to see where the whale would land.

MERR cordoned off the section of the ocean where the bloated carcass came in, keeping people from getting too close to it. Members of the group answered questioned as curious people came to take a look at it.

Thurman says heavy equipment will be brought back in Tuesday to bury the whale.

This is the time of year that whales are traveling along the East Coast. Roughly 30 species of marine mammals and sea turtles can be seen along the Delaware coast every year.

While it's unusual for dead whales to be found along the Delmarva coast, this is the second one to wash up this month.

An 11-ton, 31-foot-long humpback whale carcass washed up at Ocean City, Md., March 13. A necropsy of that whale found its skull had been fractured, most likely by a ship strike, says Cindy Driscoll, veterinarian for Maryland Department of Natural Resources.

50 tons.. That is one huge animal.

Its crazy that both of the dead whales had fractured skulls...and that such an animal would be killed by a ships hull hitting it on the head. I would think these mammals would be fairly deft and not run into or let themselves be run into...a large ship. Especially in this colder weather...its not like there are tons of "pleasure boaters" with smaller vessells whipping around and boating around right now. Id like to have more proof that ships killed these animals.....not that I dont believe it...but it just seems a shotty explanation to me....especially if the agency diagnosing the death is a special interest group......:icon_scratch:

Id like to have more proof that ships killed these animals.....not that I dont believe it...but it just seems a shotty explanation to me....especially if the agency diagnosing the death is a special interest group......:icon_scratch:

So what do you propose led to such a gigantic creature getting a fractured skull was? Possibly a meteorite cracked it right in the head? :happy3: Crashing satellites into the ocean? Maybe people were dropping giant rocks out of the sky? Possibly a frame job from those devil special interest groups? Whale wars induced?

Hey Deftik...i dont believe everything im told...as you do....obviously. How do you know the whales didnt die of natural causes and then get hit...if thats the case. Both whales get hit bulls eye perfect by the fuel chugging aquatic life hating ships out there?? They were probobally aiming right for the whales head...right. Hey..you go ahead and believe everything your told.....not me. Need more proof.:bootyshake:

If the whale had died before impact, there would have been plenty of toothy critters chewing on it.

There is nothing else out there, aside from a Trident Missile from Atlantis that could bust its noggin.

Not trying to drag this thing out....but it seems to me, that if a ship hit these whales and cracked their skulls, there would be some king of skin damage. Im just trying to wrap my mind around how a large ship can hit a whale perfectly in the head. Do whales play chicken with the ships?...seriously, the whales dont hear the ship coming...or are the whales sleeping when they get struck?? Im being serious...how does this happen?

Not trying to drag this thing out....but it seems to me, that if a ship hit these whales and cracked their skulls, there would be some king of skin damage. Im just trying to wrap my mind around how a large ship can hit a whale perfectly in the head. Do whales play chicken with the ships?...seriously, the whales dont hear the ship coming...or are the whales sleeping when they get struck?? Im being serious...how does this happen?

Ever see that show Surface, thats how.. :angel3:

That last time the whale washed up in Bethany, they buried it where we frequent on FISP, man that stunk all summer, despite being 15 feet deep or whatver they dug it to, it was brutal, especially with land breeze.

Id like to get some of that meat and blubber for shark bait.....the meat should still be good....right?:eusa_drool: