11 posts in this topic

"ANNAPOLIS — The 2010 summer flounder season will likely run for seven months, a change from draft regulations released last week. Fish caught in the April to November season must be a minimum of 19 inches long and there is a three fish creel limit. The Maryland Department of Natural Resources originally proposed a four month fishery with a 18.5 inch size limit but coastal recreational boat captains complained that the season was too short and would damage their business.

The current plan will be sent to the Maryland General Assembly for final approval."

heres the link to the article

MARLYAND: State settles on longer flounder season | delmarvanow.com | The Daily Times

Thanks for the info, Brandon.

If we get the regs we want I think it will keep many bait shops afloat... Time to wait for the vote... If I see anything more on the subject it will be posted

that's another goal of mine this year, catching a keeper flounder. hopefully so, but 19" is pretty darned big

I will be happy with one for catch and release, I didn't pull one YET.

But is coming, I know is coming.

I'm hoping for a fall season. OCMD is my fall hotspot.

A 19" flounder is a big flounder if you are fishing a squid strip and a minnow, but most flounder that hit my jigs or live baits are over 20".

I proved it to my buddy a few falls back in <acronym title="Ocean City">OC</acronym>. He fished squid and minnow and caught 23 fish with no keepers. I used nothing but jigs and had 5 fish with four keepers over 20".

Use big baits if you want big fish, unless you just like catching and dont mind throwing most back.

My best bait for flounder has been tail hooked live spot or mullet... As for lures gulp alive and even rattle traps have done the trick... We started using gulp in mid august and between 3 guys we had about 15 fish over 20in from that time till the close of the season... Hard to stay away from live baits like small mullet and spot though...

" OCEAN CITY -- Maryland fishermen will be able to cast their lines in search of flounder for a little longer this year.

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources has set the 2010 recreational flounder fishery to run from April 17 to November 22, permitting anglers to land any fish longer than 19 inches, with a three-fish limit.

"It's wonderful," said Monty Hawkins, captain of Morning Star, a party boat out of Ocean City. "We have an ongoing fight with the black sea bass fishery ... so the flounder is a little bit of a bright spot."

Hawkins and other coastal fishermen were upset with a prior plan that would have allowed for 18.5 inch-flounder to be landed -- but limited the season from April to September. That proposal was supported by Chesapeake Bay fishermen, who last year were allowed to catch 16-inch fish compared to the coast's 18-inch limit. In order to better track the fishery, DNR decided to do away with separate regulations in the two regions for 2010.

However, coastal fishermen overwhelmingly supported the 19-inch option -- one of five presented to recreational anglers across the state at meetings in late 2009 and early 2010 -- because of the longer season.

After initial outrage over signs that DNR would end flounder fishing in September, Tom O'Connell, director of fisheries for DNR, met with the interested parties at a fishing convention this weekend in Ocean City.

"He made sure we really did want the 19-inch (plan) and he made sure that it was not just a few of us," Hawkins said. "The effort from the department to reexamine this situation is above and beyond anything I have ever seen from DNR. It's a magnificent example of good governance."

The regulations are designed to compensate for what O'Connell said was an overharvesting of flounder last year. While the 19-inch minimum should prevent overfishing, he warned that if the catch limit of 75,000 is exceeded this year because of the longer season, next year's fishery may be abbreviated to compensate.

Hawkins, who says the flounder population on the coast is healthy, doesn't think that will be a problem.

"Lord knows we can fish," he said. "But it's not an industrial operation -- it's just the American taxpayer going out and scrubbing up dinner."

The regulations still need to be sent to the General Assembly for final approval."

Flounder rules favor fishermen | delmarvanow.com | The Daily Times

Just thought this was a good article explaining the flounder situation for this year:icon_rr:.... Described by Captain Monty

You know I'm all for it... I'm looking fwd to fishing for some nice size flounder in October & November!:happy2:

maybe Md. will be less inviting because of the 19" size and three fish ,and more anglers will try Va. with their slightly more liberal limits. It worked for Va. last year.