30 posts in this topic

Sorry about the late report, but my cable service provider is down :( .

:D Well the striper season is winding down and soon summer fishing will be in full swing,,,plenty of kings and still some stripers hanging around,,,the cow nose rays have been making a strong showing and butterflys are getting into the line up and soon sharks, spot, and hardheads will be getting into the action as the summer progresses.

Get your feet in the sand, have fun and go fish! :D

Fished yesterday from 6 am until noon,,,nothing but tons of skates,,,constantly on heads and the chunks,,,drove me insane and left.

Welcome to my life... :-)

Coop, what seems to be better, the sunrise bite or sunset?

Steve, I would say either,,,the funny thing is I have caught just as many in the middle of the day,,,I can't beleive all the time I put in the beginning and middle of spring at night,,,I have not caught one nighttime striper with alot of time put in at night,,,I guess anytime is good as any,,,tides,,,any tide,,,I have written everything down and there never seems to be a pattern, incoming, outgoing, slack,,,so all bets are off,,,I still think dawn and dusk are still the best, but who knows :? .

Warm enough for the yak without a wet suit? Air/wind chill temps?

I yaked out without a suit but water temps were close to 68* and air temps were warm,,,air temps should be good tomorrow, water temps, not sure on,,,dropped to 63* the other day,,,still really shouldnt be bad to yak a bait out.

Good, I'll brimg the Drum head and body along with the big gear.

:D Hit AI and met up with Steve and later Dave (ocsnapper),,,figure its time to start focusing on sharkin and brought the yak,,,got there around 5:30 and treid for stripers for a few hours and ended catching a small sandbar,,,right then and there, TIME to yakem out,,,yaked out 2 with the big penns hooked to my surf rods with large bunker cut in half,,,left the short sticks at home figuring I wouldnt need the leverage for the big dogs yet,,,after yaking the two out, 30 minutes went by and sure enough a rod wiggle and bent a little, normally a large sand bar hits it and runs with the reel screaming, not this one,,,fihgured a skate or doggie playing with,,,started to reel it in and it got heavier,,,once I got it in halfway, she finally made a run and several there after,,,excellent pull and really missed that kind of pull from a shark,,,landed a med/large sandbar.

Dave got into one on lighter tackle, smaller one but still fun to watch him reel it in,,,we thought it might of been a striper, didnt cut him off, so we just werent sure what it was until we saw the fin on the surface,,,still alot of fun,,,a great early summer day on the beach,,,Summer fishing is getting closer,,,fishing in shorts and yaking baits out,,,life is good.

Steve had a black drum carcas yaked out when I left,,,hopefully he gets into one,,,Steve, I really appreciate the pliers,,,thanks again buddy,,,had a great time on the sand,,,good company with a few sandbars.

:D BIG sharks are right around the corner and will be here sooner than ya think,,,can't wait!

davesshark_482.jpg.9327bc263cd03aa47de52

sandbar608_186.jpg.f2dafe8dd6b34bf1b0beb

Scott nice report now just to end the day had a 34" rock hit a little after you left and a butterfly ray soon after that, sorry to say Steve had nothing going when I went home. Hope he had some pullage later.

Excellent Dave :up: !!,,,perfect size for the table.

Nope, the only pullage I got yesterday was my sunburned thighs feeling like the skin was constricting.

Used Bunker cut in every shape and size and tossed long, medium and short. Every time save twice, the hooks were bare.

Well, we won't count the couple'a Skates.....

Coop yaked out my Chark rig for me, WAY out about 800 yerds to the crystal blue water and dropped the 20 lb hunk of bait. Several hours later, I decided to move around a bit and started to bring in the Penn 115. Started cranking and it was too easy then all of a sudden it stopped dead and jerked a few times. No running just a hard pull. Kept cranking and it was feeling like I had a Brontosauras on the 16/0 hook. Once in awhile it came in like all the rigging was cut off, then back to hard again. After 15 minutes of cranking, I finally got in on shore with an empty hook. I don't know if something saw a moving target and decided to hit it or if that new concrete weight I made was getting stuck. Maybe a log floating by....

(thanks for the teasing Dave)

hahahaha

Started picking up and the tide decided to put on the steam, woah, too close, get moving.....

Had to move up to finish loading.

Hit the bay side of the island and tossed everything I had, Gulps, different Fish Bites, poppers, spoons, etc...

Nada.

Only bites I got were skeeters, man, they are BAD on the west side of the island!!!!

Lost an Atom Popper in a tree on the opposite side of the channel, bummer....

Alas! Pullage!

haha

Stopped and talked with a couple'a guys (from PA?) in a red something on the way out. Nice guys, set them up with a couple big rigs and fresh Bunker. Hopefully they get into something today.

Dave, good seeing ya again, Coop, as always....

And thanks for showing me the Droppr Loop....

Now it makes sense, dern internet pics for it are terrible.

Til next time...

Steve, Let me tell you'll about those 16 J hooks,,,used them a few times and stopped using them because they dig into the sand as you reel it in,,,only happens when there is a bare hook,,,with the bait still on it, they are much easier to reel in,,,they will kill ya,,,when you get it out of the sand it'll dig in again,,,they will wear you out in a hurry.

Some pics from yesterday.

Yeah Coop, hook digs in but I want a big hook.

I'll have to figure out a better way.

Hey, I know, buy a boat!

<NOT!>

v_bridge_198.jpg.738f9eee21e7ff59d82a441

justright_206.jpg.72fce23ecd438024af60fd

bayside_180.jpg.22283ac8da0f39eb7ef391d1

pullage_102.jpg.714d2f0370b36f9747f8d4fd

coop_paddle_214.jpg.aaa3fce8cb5cb9141a65

bait001_193.jpg.8214819d7c760ce94f9a8222

nice pics! you dont happen to have any hi res of the sunset and bayside. they sould make great desktops

Thanks for the compliment.

Check in my gallery, I might.

Beautiful Pictures as usual, Steve! :v: Sorry I missed meeting up with ya... It's been hectic around here lately.

well Sat (6/10) was a beautiful day on the beach--could have been a little less windy but I'm not complaining---It was definately a clearnose skate day for us and everybody else that we saw catching something----used fresh bunker, frozen finger mullett, and squid-----only skates---but I was on the beach thats what counts------large croud of AMSA tags right in front of the bullpen---was that any of you guys???-----------------Sunday----we went to AI-Va. caught kings on squid there only thing we had hit nothing else--------FEI-----AI-Va has all of their ORV beach closed for bird nesting---its crazy, I think they are trying to do away with all ORV acess down there, I have asked for years now if they could give the fisherman just a little of the north end, 300 yards, 500yards, 1/2 mile-- anything ----but its always "no, there is not enough beach up there"--if you look the beach is wider north of the parking lots than on the south end where you can't even be on high tide, rope/poles are inside high tide wash----Sorry just a little venting------AI-Md has it all over Va.-----that is also why I am selling my camper in Chincoteague, Maddox campground----if anybody knows someone looking for a spot down there please let me know!---------Thanks to all and keep the sand between your toes---------------Kirk (gonefishin)

Thanks for the report, Kirk. I've never been south of the VA line and from your report, I don't plan on it anytime soon. Good job on the kings... They are some goooood eatin. :-) BTW, if you plan on drum fishing this fall, kingfish heads make great bait. Ziplock them in an air-tight bag and you're good to go. :v:

Yes they are good eating and they were good eating ------they were dinner tonight!!!-------------thanks for the hint on the heads----? have you ever tryed filling the bags with water and then freezing them ? it cuts down on the freezer burn----I have done fish and game that way and I have virtually no freezer burn at all------ Kirk

Nope, never tried that. Sounds like a good idea... Probably not a great idea for bunker, since the cellular structure is broken down and it becomes soft, but heads shouldn't be a problem. :v: