10 posts in this topic

I'm working to set the family camping trips for 2010, and I probable make one camping trip to A.I

I never been on A.I state park, this will be the first time. I google the park for pictures, and I see the fishing are " FULL ", My concern...

*This will be the typical fishing pier ?. ( only space for the " fishing masters " ).

*Can I go and have a nice family fishign trip ?

*The Best: Virginia or Maryland are ?

Any information or experience will be important to ME.

Any camping/Fishing trip is GREAT to me, but I wan to get the best time.

Thanks, my Friends.

Sorrie, last question: if Virginia Park or Marylans park on A.I will be the best to go ?...

Thanks,

If it's your first time going to assateague i would suggest planning a trip when there is a nice easterly wind blowing! east, southeast northeast etc... just not a direct west wind. It can get pretty intolerable at times in the summer with the flies/mosquitoes. I know there is a little fishing pier to the left before you go over the bridge to get onto assateague. I've never been to the virginia side of the island, so i couldn't help you there

Great info... I read something about the "mosquitoes" and fleas on A.I, we never have this problem before.

We camp on virginia's state parks and mosquitoes and fleas is not a problem yet, but I know that some parks have the same problem, kiptopeke State Park is one of them but we was ok. last year. probable early summer will be the key.

Stephen. Thanks, for the info.

early summer is nice, it isn't quite as hot as late july/early august, and quite nice at night time. the only thing though is if you're looking to get into the ocean it is still pretty cold that time of year, twill take your breath away.

Yeah, that will be a problem...I have two girls and they like the Ocean water. for Me it is just fishing but the family have to be happy too.

Thanks for the info

My family loves to camp at AI. I usually think of AI as having three parks:

1) Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge on the Virginia end,

2) Assateague National Sea Shore - NPS park - on the Maryland end, and

3) Assateague State Park - MD park - on the Maryland end.

I don't know if Chincoteague has any camping but there are private campgrounds around (Chincoteague Chamber of Commerce Directory - Accommodations). We've never camped down there.

Assateague SP is not open year round, Assateague NP is open year round.

Assateague SP has hot water showers and flush toilets, Assateague NP has cold water showers and (very nice) chemical toilets.

Assateague SP costs a little more.

When camping w/ family we usually state at the SP but when I go alone I usually stay at the NP.

We usually camp in the fall (Sept/Oct). The weather is variable but we always have fun. I have two girls too. They always get in the water - but not always a long dip. We don't generally camp AI in the summer because there are too many people, too many files, and often too hot. But lots of people love it in the summer - you just have to know your family.

For fishing - there is no pier. People fish the beach. Lots of people here can talk more about AI surf fishing than I. (I'm trying to learn surf fishing too.) From reading here it seems that more people fish the NP than the SP. That is probably because the NP allows beach driving and the SP doesn't. You can walk across and fish on both SP and NP.

When I go I always try to stop by Bucks Place (611 & 376) and Harbor Tackle (Sunset Ave & Golf Course Rd) to find out what's being caught and what bait they are using.

Oh - and my girls always want one trip up to OC to get Thrasher's FFs.

BLUEHWY, great info.

I like the idea of Fall camping, thanks for the details.

I have camped on Assateague Island National side both with walk in sites and pull in sites. I HIGHLY recommend the pull in, mainly because the walk in requires you to walk right past swampy mosquito infested standing water. Spring/Fall is probably best due to less heat/humidity and less mosquitos. Breezes are good to limit the mosquitos, but prepare to be bitten. Also-keep food in the TRUNK of your car, nowhere else. The ponies will find it even if you think it's hidden.

Assateague State Park has better facilities, but is a bit more expensive, and is not open year round.

Chincoteague National does NOT have camping.

I personally stay out of the parks at Pocomoke River State Park, Shad's landing. It's roughly a 30 minute drive to either Assateague or Chincoteague Parks, but it's cheap, great facilities with water, electric, camp store, hot water bathhouses, and less bugs than the Island itself!

There is no actual pier, but there is a small dock on the mainside of the Verrazano bridge where you can crab and fish. Other than that it's limited to surf fishing. You also now need to register as a salt water fisherman at www.countmyfish.noaa.gov if you decide to so! It's free, they just want to know whose fishing.

Enjoy!

GREAT, Thanks Brenda.

I like you Idea too, I have two girls and ( wife ) and I don't think they will like the mosquitoes on the " camping package "

I will google some information for Pocomoke River State Park, I like your idea.