30 posts in this topic

I know we have spring ahead of us but i want to get a early start preparing for summer shark fishing. I have done some research on how to make shark rigs but all of the schematics i find are for boat use rigs, or rigs you can take out with a kayak. I wasnt happy with he rigs i used last year(FF with store-bought wire leaders) i couldnt get the casting distance i wanted, so i want to make my own this year. I was thinking of a stationary weight vs. FF???... i know alot of you guys have experience making shark rigs and i would appreciate any advice you can give me...:book1:

I for casting I use a regular fishfinder rig with beefed up shock leader. I use about a foot of 300 or 400lb braided steel on the end.

Yes it cuts down on casting distance, but fishing for shark at night off the beach you don't really need much distance at all.

A FFinder rig is best if your going for casting distance...but at the steep sloping beaches at night..as said you dont need to get it too far out. the problem is...if you hook a large sand tiger or other shark, you need multiple feet of steel leader, in case they swallow it or twist it, etc. however, for practicallity when casting...only about 2 to three feet of steel is what I use...150 LB. strength. Not ideal for casting, but you need the extra steel for large sharks. also, always double crimp your hooks...always. And try to use the biggest circle hooks you can find. i / we use 20/0 circles, which are hand bent because of their size. Also, bring large pliers, and bolt cutters to cut the hook in half when removing from large sharks....for safety sake and to get fish in water quickly. thuis attached to a high strength shock leader....over 100 pounds preferably.

Dont know what I was thinking....i dont use the 20/0 circle hooks for my casting rigs...only for yakked out baits usually....there just too darm big. More like 12/0 gamakatsus on my casting rigs.....4x strength.

what kind of knot do you guys use to tie wire to hooks/swivels with??

what kind of knot do you guys use to tie wire to hooks/swivels with??

I use crimps to join the wire to a swivel. If you want to use knots do a search for haywire twist.

How long of a shock leader do you need?----Do you need one if youre using 50 lb braid?

How long of a shock leader do you need?----Do you need one if youre using 50 lb braid?

For my shark rigs I like to have at least 30-40 feet of 80lb mono as a shock leader. I would NEVER use braid for sharking.

here are the two reason for me not using braid shock leader for sharks.

#1 -- the shock leader is a tool to help you land big sharks, You can't grab braid unless you want your hand cut off.

#2 -- The shock leader it also a rub leader when the sharks start to roll. the braid doesn't have anywhere near the abrasion resistance that mono line does.

#3 -- If you have an all braid setup on your reel, sharks can put a hurting on your gear if your drag is set too tight. There is almost zero room for error with braid because of the no stretch.

If you are going to use braid for a shock leader for sharks, I would suggest you use 200 or 250 lb braid and don't touch it when a fish is on.

Fair enough, that makes sense....what # running line are you using? do you have any trouble heaving out 40' of 80# mono???

Fair enough, that makes sense....what # running line are you using? do you have any trouble heaving out 40' of 80# mono???

For my casting rods my running line is either 17 or 20 lb mono.

For my yakked out baits I use either 25 or 30 lb mono.

NO problems whatsoever with using that shockleader.

For my casting rods
-----any difference if youre using spinning gear??? also what knot are you using between shock leader and running line? had a set up last year 20# to 65# mono---uni to uni knot---lost a couple due to the shock/runing line knot giving out

anything wrong with tying on 80# shock leader to 50lb. braid running line???

-----any difference if youre using spinning gear??? also what knot are you using between shock leader and running line? had a set up last year 20# to 65# mono---uni to uni knot---lost a couple due to the shock/runing line knot giving out

same setup for any spinning gear I use as well.

I use a spider hitch to no name knot to join my running line to shock leader.

no problems using braid as your running line, I use an improved albright to join them together. I would bump up to 65lb braid though to help with the abrasion resistance of all the shells and sandbars.

In the past, I was using uni knots for my leader knots...but had them pull out as well. The Albright is specifically for large diameter to smaller diameter line...because you only have to loop one line (the smaller one) several times. havent had one slip yet. I run 17 pound suffix tied to about 20 feet of 80 lb. mono shock, with a FFinder rig, barrell swivel (150lb or better) to 150 lb or better steel, double crimped to a big hook, for my casting rigs.

for yakkin, I use the same running line...maybe a little heavier, to 50 feet of 120 lb. mono, massive weight of at least 16 ounces on ffinder rig, barrel swivel, 4 feet or so of steel double crimped to large 20/0 hook.

For my yaked out baits I use about 2 ft of steel braid, 30 - 50 ft of heavy duty weedeater line.

For weights i use big balls of concrete (usually a couple lbs each) tried to my line with 4lb test mono or rubber bands.

thanks alot for the input guys, it definately makes the big picture clearer, now i have one question left.........is it july yet?????:blob8:

thanks alot for the input guys, it definately makes the big picture clearer, now i have one question left.........is it july yet?????:blob8:

Don't rush things, May is a VERY good month for surf fishing AI.

Love may striper fishing........all surf fishing for that matter. But theres something about skarking in the summer, specifically for me on the DE beaches....watching beauties walk by during the day and catching massive predators day and night. A beast over 8 feet made my year last year......thats just a memory of a lifetime.

Love may striper fishing........all surf fishing for that matter. But theres something about skarking in the summer, specifically for me on the <acronym title="Delaware">DE</acronym> beaches....watching beauties walk by during the day and catching massive predators day and night. A beast over 8 feet made my year last year......thats just a memory of a lifetime.

AAAHHH The "Candy Store". See you there again this year mark.:happy8:

I use crimps to join the wire to a swivel. If you want to use knots do a search for haywire twist.
Perfect! :icon_salut:

Ahhh, summer Charkin!

I remember way back in the summer of '05 when Sam, Coop, and I started yaking out baits.

People thought we were nuts.

Now many of those same nay-sayers are yaking baits out too!

LOL!

BTW Sam, I'm up to 4 yaks and a twin-engine power boat now, see what a monster you have created?:BangHead:

BTW Sam, I'm up to 4 yaks and a twin-engine power boat now, see what a monster you have created?:BangHead:

Lets go!

i use 6 to 8 feet of 100#test as a rub leader to a 50 # test shock leader connected to a swivel to malin wire to a 9/0 circle hook. works very well for me. here's a link to what i am talking about... Malin Stainless Steel Leader. i usually use 150# test.

Sam:

Rt 355 at Fishing Creek in Honga.

Two - 2.5 hrs from OC.

I can haul straight over.

I plan to drift some huge baits this summer, biologists say there are several species of Charkey in the Chessie.