17 posts in this topic

I going to get a Throw Net to catch Bait for Surf Fishing. I've never did this before and would appreciate any help or pointers such as where to go, what kind to get, what's available (Mullet,etc.) etc. Can you catch Bait all year or just when it is warm?

the location would depend on where in the state you are...i know spots in northern de that i cast in spring/summer for shad/bunker....as far as the net, i bought my first one last year, a 4 footer, it was easy to learn how to throw, if youve never thrown a cast net i would suggest getting something 5 or under then after you learn how to throw upgrading to a larger size, i was lucky enough to have a fellow fisherman teach me, he saw me throwing and needless to say felt it was neccessary to intervine...:happy6: im sure there are many different ways to throw, look it up on you tube and try n see what way works best for you

Do the smaller nets still work well. Where would you reccomend for me to try, I'm usually based in the rehoboth/lewes area. I have no idea where to try.

Thanks,

Hulk

You might be best off just to get a cheap smaller net to start off with like they sell at walmart. Smaller nets are easier to learn on. Whatever you get, I'd recommend practicing in your back yard till you get the hang of it. There's a few videos on youtube and other sites if you google it. There's more than one way to throw them too. Try a few methods and see which one seems the best suited to you.

Thanks Flatfish! When I start fishing in Delaware (hopefully shortly), can you give me a spot to try my net casting ability? I usually base myself out of rehoboth - lewes area. If yo could give me a spot to try (for Mullet, bunker, etc.), to me started, i would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Hulk

Hey hulkster....

me and my buddy like catchin' bait almost as much as fishing sometimes...almost. Whereas I do not have specific spots in DE to throw a net....i usually do the same thing every time....which is as follows: This means driving around, finding boat ramps or shallow bays, inlets, piers, etc...just off the road, and going at it with a net. I carry a bucket with me to hold the net...and then transfer bait to it...then switch the bait to a cooler when I get back to the truck. Keep the bait on top of the ice...not in the ice / water as it makes the bait mealy. I keep kosher salt with me to salt the bait asap.

I really like boat ramps...especially late at night when there is no activity on the water. The concrete / asphalt under water attracts fish at night...as does the lighting. Flood tide is best for me.

I usually start my netting in MD at the public boat ramp. If im catching nothin...im moving to another spot. Sometimes, youll get a load at the first stop...sometimes you gotta really work for it. Its important to remember that you want to target areas that arent much deeper than half the width of your net....i.e. a 7 foot net is 14 feet across....but youll want to cast into water no deeper than 7 feet.

Some others on here have spots.....but i dont know wether they'll "spot-burn" ....which is frowned upon.

Have at it brother!

Hulkster, Like trimlc said, many frown on posting specific spots on the internet

Catching mullet is mostly in the fall. You can get them from the rocks in the inlets, or from the beach, from the bay beaches down all along the ocean. They show up in creeks along the delaware bay and in the backbays around Mid July, but they are always small then.

Peanuts can be found around boat ramps, docks, bridges etc. You'll see them in a thick school near the surface most times.

Minnows like to hang out in the grass along mud flats, look for them right near the shoreline of boat ramps too

Be careful throwing your new net at high tide in a spot you are unfamiliar with. You never know what you'll get snagged up on.

Scout spots around low tide so you can get an idea of where the snags are. You can still hit some of these snag areas at high tide, if you don't let the net sink all the way to the bottom. I usually only throw my crummier nets in areas like that. Nothing's worse than losing your brand new net:icon_thumbdown:

There's a load of spots around Lewes if you do some scouting around

Good luck!

Thanks Guys, "roger-doger" on the "spot burning", I keep forgeting that this is a public forum.

Are you saying that there won't be anything around to catch for bait until later in the year??? Also, do you always salt your bait right away, even if it is on ice? Do you still freeze it if you don't use it all.

Hulk,

You should be able to get minnows and shiners right now but not mullet and peanut bunkers. You can find a school of adult bunker in the surf or out in the Delaware Bay in the spring and summer though but it's hard to catch adult bunker with a cheaper net. You need a net that sinks faster with a bigger mesh and more weight per foot for them.

It really depends on whats around in the spring. Whatever you do catch...is usually good to use because it is what is getting fed upon....the natural bait. that said...in the spring..i typically buy my bunker..otherwise you really aren't gonna find any unless you have a connection. but, in spring, bloodworms and clams are good to use...as the water is colder and it seems the fish are a little more sluggish and feeding on bottom critters....You can find clams at the store and bait shops, bloodworms are pricey....ouch.

I would definately keep left over bait...if you have the capacity in the freezer, as it takes up space. salting is always good, as it keeps the bait fresh and firm...and doing it as soon as possible is good..but not necessary if you'll be using your bait directly. just keep your bait out of the melted ice....keep it on top of the ice, not down in the bottom in the slush...water will ruin it. if you freeze left-overs, do it with salt and no waterr or ice in a baggie.....im sure there are other recipes that work better, as i dont have too much experience with freezing bait.

Do you salt the bait Fish WHOLE, or cut it up first? What about leftover pieces already cut up.

Thanks, Hulk

salt them whole...only cut it up as you need it...and i would dump the cut up peices...unless your tight for bait.

Hello Guys,

I have a question... I have a net but never used.

I probable try for baits this year, My question do I need any type of licenses?... Just for bait use.

Thanks, Guys.

No licencse necessary for what we do...throwing from shore and keeping non-game fish...but that is a good question...ill look into it..

I try to serch and google information before I try to used ( just for baite ) but I did't see any.

For bait use may not be a problem, but who kows.

Thanks, trimlc

I'm pretty sure you need a license to catch bait, as well as to fish, clam or crab.

I'm pretty sure you need a license to catch bait, as well as to fish, clam or crab.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Well I need to do my homework and make sure if I use the net for bait, I'm legal.