19 posts in this topic

First post. I check the fishing reports often, but I'm finally going to stop lurking and join in.

New to surf fishing, last year made 3 trips- 2 in <acronym title="Outer Banks">OBX</acronym>, one in Maine. Had decent success with bunch of blues and small sharks, occasional flounder, and trout. This year spending much more time on the beach- 10 day trip to <acronym title="Outer Banks">OBX</acronym> and at least 4 weekend trips to <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym>.

I've put significant time and money into this year, new quality rods and reels, new tackle, and specailized gear...so I know now I won't catch anything...hahaha.

Originally from New England, I live in WV currently and me and a buddy are thinking of heading to <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym> the first week in April.

I know it won't be great, but what will we be looking at? Should I even bother bringing the big stick for shark? Anything special we should know? We're looking to head back in May as well, then in August and September. This is going to be our gear test weekend, as my friend has no experience on the beach.

We will not have 4x4 (probably not) but are willing to walk several miles from the NPS campsite.

won't be sharks around the 1st wek of april (dogfish sharks excluded).

You might get lucky and get into a small striper run. Personally I will be fishing for black drum and chomper blues during early April.

Also no need to hike many miles. The walkover at the south beach access in the national park is some good fishing.

how much farther to the OBX for you? Should be great drum fishing by then. AI will be sparse but I've caught Stripers that week in April.

AI is 5.5-6 hours, closest surf to us, and cheap camping. I work at the hospital in morgantown.

OBX is 8hrs (to kitty hawk) but we go to ocracoke which is more like 11.5. MUCH too far for a 3 day weekend.

chompers and black drum it is then. I'll leave the heavy arsenal for the summer. anything special about black drum I should know? I don't know anything about them, I'll read up before I go.

chompers and black drum it is then. I'll leave the heavy arsenal for the summer. anything special about black drum I should know? I don't know anything about them, I'll read up before I go.

I never caught one myself, but clam and crab are the bait of choice.

i almost lost a rod to a black drum last year....after you cast your bait out LOOSEN THE DRAG!!!

crab and clam for sure, you'll likely need heavers for 8oz weights and up in April...usually pretty windy with good current. Not sure what to tell ya on blacks, caught them in close and far out on peelers mostly but they'll (peelers) be tough to find before the first week of May. Blacks will mostly just nibble on the bait, you'll have to keep a sharp eye on your rods even with fish over 20#. They'll fight good in close but usually don't go nuts until then.

Don't forget your bunker either, mostly fish chunks for blues and only seen one ever caught on a head.

Hmmm, can't buy live crabs can you? I've got some of that berkley gulp crabs I can try. Got on ebay, as a whim.

bunker chunks are a definite.

8oz you say? Damn, only got a few of those in the box. Guess I better get out and practice casting with the "big" penn, my normal spinner (penn spinfisher and cabelas salt striker surf rod) may not have the backbone to put 8 + bait out there....althought its rated for 8...

PS- what do you guys use for hooks? I got 2/0, 6/0, and 8/0's on hand-tied 30, 50, and 80lb leaders?

there is a small window for a decent striper from the last week in march to the first week in april....IMO, worth a shot, but still tough to get one.

crab and clam for sure, you'll likely need heavers for 8oz weights and up in April...usually pretty windy with good current. Not sure what to tell ya on blacks, caught them in close and far out on peelers mostly but they'll (peelers) be tough to find before the first week of May. Blacks will mostly just nibble on the bait, you'll have to keep a sharp eye on your rods even with fish over 20#. They'll fight good in close but usually don't go nuts until then.

Don't forget your bunker either, mostly fish chunks for blues and only seen one ever caught on a head.

Trowpa caught a Huge blue on one of the biggest bunker heads I seen!

Havn't done it for a while,but I alway went to Cape Charles to fish for Black Drum,We used a fish finder rig, IT keeps the sinker seperate and when you cast it out the hook and line is free from the sinker, and a rubber band threaded thru the eye of the hook and wrapped around a large fresh shucked clam to keep it from falling off the hook,I didn't have to cast as we fished from a boat.Have some photo's somewere,I'll dig them up and scan them.70lb.and up is a common weight in april at the mouth of the bay.

5852a58d2ecaf_AquasportOsprey200.jpg.b27

All I use is fish finder rigs, with an occasional finger mullet rig.

Now, this is a beginner question for sure: I know you can dig for clams, can you buy them? Besides at the grocery store? Or is that what you guys do? If you dig for them, where? And during this time of year?

I've only fished with mullet, bunker, squid, and shrimp.

no clams (sea clams) on the oceanfront to dig for on AI. We do have Quahog or chowder clams in the back bays where you can dig for them, but to be honest, not really worth the effort at only $3-5 a dozen, may as well buy them. You can dig up sandcrabs on the beachfront and use them for black drum. Just put a few on a hook and cast out...these will work well for blacks.

alright, i'll just get them from the grocery store.

thanks everyone for the tips and advice

alright, i'll just get them from the grocery store.

thanks everyone for the tips and advice

I would stay away from the grocery store for bait, #1 they are more expensive and #2 they usually aren't the freshest

Get your clams at a local bait shop or seafood restaurant.

after doing some more reading, that was actually my new plan. How early do the shops open up in the morning?

I would stay away from the grocery store for bait, #1 they are more expensive and #2 they usually aren't the freshest Get your clams at a local bait shop or seafood restaurant.

I was wondering if the baits from the market was any different from the baits place, we have some chinese places aroud here ( regular markets ) and they have a whole lot of baits...I guess they are not fresh as they look.

weekend weather looking good for AI ( April/3 and 4/10 )

Saturday Sunny Hi 75 °F

Saturday Night Mostly Clear Lo 52 °F

Sunday Sunny Hi 74 °F

Sunday Night Mostly Clear Lo 52 °F

Probable still cold ( at night ) for camping on tent hummm 52 F

ah, hell, I'm originally from VT, I've camped in -15 degrees once...although I'll admitt, it was cold....

52 is perfect sleeping weather.