6 posts in this topic

Like many, I am getting excited to get out on the beach to do some fishing soon. I was wondering if there has been a calendar of anticipated "best" time frames to catch various fish. For example, I would love to start planning for Spring striper - any idea when the "run" should start?

If such a calendar has not been created maybe we can use this thread to get something started.

Thanks in advance for any information you are willing to share.

The following list is normal activity for AI MD.

March and April can bring big blues and black drum. There is a very brief striper run sometime here as well but unless you are lucky you will miss it.

Spring Striper can start in late April and last through the first week in June. Usually May is a good bet.

Most summer fish start showing up in late April as well (kings,spot, and etc)

Middle of June the larger sharks start showing up and are here until late sept or early Oct.

Middle sept Red drum show up for a couple weeks.

Late Oct through Xmas are blues,stripers and if you are really really lucky some trout.

Caught my first flounder of the year in mid march last year in Wachapreague Va. the water temp was 50 degrees

Since the question was "BEST TIMES" here's my list for AI.

Stripers - May

Big Blues - just before stripers - April/early May

Snapper Blues - May-Sept

Summer fare (spot, kingfish, snappers) - June-Sept

Sharks - July-Sept

Red Drum - Sept full moon

Stripers and Blues are available through the fall but it is not the "BEST TIME" to fish for them

If you are well studied, and can put in the time during these periods you should be able to catch target species (Red's are a bit tougher and require luck as well)

Other than these times it is hit or miss on AI in my opinion and difficult for the average surf fisherman to score. A day on the beach is always well spent however!

The information provided is very helpful. Now it is time to plan some trips to the beach!

Thank you!