4 posts in this topic

looking for new convintonal reel for surf fishing. was woundering if anyone had any experence with avet reels in the surf. would also like to know what other reels would be good or better choices that are available in lefty

I have two Avets SX's that get used in the surf. They are very good, my wife loves them. I use them occasionally. The only thing I don't like about them is the drag/freespool lever catches my hand when I cast sometimes. I don't know of anyone else that has this problem except me. Just as a long as you don't dunk them they are near bulletproof.

Another thing I will say is don't waste your money on the magnetic version of this reel. You can do it yourself extremly cheap (less than 5 bucks) and its SUPER easy to do. Coop had some instructions posted on this site if you search.

All in all i give the Avet Sx reel 9/10 in my book.

looking for new convintonal reel for surf fishing. was woundering if anyone had any experence with avet reels in the surf. would also like to know what other reels would be good or better choices that are available in lefty

Allen,

I also use the SX reels.......in lefty......and I love them..... I decided to spend the extra $40 to get he MC version, and it was money well spent in my mind...I just wasn't prepared to drill a hole in the side plate of my $200 reel..But some are more comfortable with that, and that's cool......... I do remember seeing Coop's instructions, and they are spot on...:icon_salut:

good luck to ya...

You don't even have to drill if you don't want an adjustable mag. You can static mag the reel in and do some test casts to figure out how many and size of magnets you need.

My two Avets, 1 is an adjustable mag and the other I have static mag. I don't really see any difference between them when fishing. It was very very rare that I actually moved the adjustable mag, usually it was on very very wind in my face days.

For $40 it probablly is worth getting the factory mags, but I when I first looked at them they were a lot more than $40 extra for the magged version.