14 posts in this topic

i was 9 years old fishing with my dad in the indian river inlet catching sea bass and skates, we decided to go back in front of the hotel in ocean city to try to the surf. i ended up catching a flounder. It wasn't a keeper but i was really pumped to catch something from the suds i remember. how about you?

My first fish ever off the beach was a chomper blue around 30-34in. It was only like my third time out with my dad and a rod horseshoed so I grabbed it and like 3/4 of the way through I had to hand the rod off to my dad

I dunno as it was over 50 years ago. Probably a croaker...we called 'em hardheads. Gotta blame this madness on my uncle, who frequently took me surf fishing in those early days. Lotta fish since then...

I had no idea what i was doing..just had the itch to surf fish. I had gotten an AI tag for my truck, and hit the beach about 3:00 a.m. by myself on a summer night. I drove the beach and shone my lights on a random spot in the surf (idiot). I remember thinking it was raining..or sprinkling...because there were all these little droplets hitting the surface. I casted whatever i had into the surf...and it turned out it was a huge school of Croaker...kind of "kissing" the surface. I caught and caught and caught 'em...throwing them all back (didnt realize how yummy croaker were). I thought..."this surf fishing stuff is easy." Anyway.....i was hooked forever by beginner luck.:lol:

Never had any luck in the surf until the morning of January 1, 2000. My first cast of the millennium brought in a keeper striper. After the next cast I learned first hand how fun a run of fish can be. It was a great day and wonderful dinner on the OBX.

first fish would have had to have been kings, then the never ending onslaught of skate and doggies. Of course that same year i caught my first striper, shark, and red drum. then the following two years only shark. finally broke that fish less streak and have had an excellent season last year.

I read the coments and I HOPE one day I will be like one of you guys, last year was my first on the salt water fishing and I learn a LOT but still pending to pull my firts surf- catch. I just hope the BEST for this year.

I read the coments and I HOPE one day I will be like one of you guys, last year was my first on the salt water fishing and I learn a LOT but still pending to pull my firts surf- catch. I just hope the BEST for this year.

put in your time, take advice and follow your instinct. but most importantly have fun and enjoy yourself.

I went twice and got skunked, then I did some research (internet/books) as I was river small mouth fisherman orginally. My 3rd time grabbed me my 1st strike! the ugliest thing I had ever saw, a bif fat skate..... 10 minutes later a 8 in blue and then a kingfish... I was hooked,. Haven't gone out for smallmouth in 4 years now. Can't wait for some evenings on Assateague....

My dad always put out two bigger rods in sand spikes,and rigged a medium action with a doodle bug on it and told me to cast as far as i could with it ,and reel back , and the chopper blue was my first.

First fish I ever caught off the beach was the same as my last: a skate, lol.

After a dissappointing trip to OBX in nasty March weather, catching nothing and generally just getting p$%&ed off, I thought I'd never catch anything.

I did my research. The next trip back in June of the same year, first cast in Ocracoke caught the chomper you see in my avatar. Ended up catching at least 10-12 on that trip (5 days), along with flounder, a speckled trout, and several small sharks (5-15lb range).

But the key to my addiction was the fish I DIDN'T catch- something took about a 150 yard run on my fiance's line, thought she was going to get spooled, nothing we could do to hold it. It stopped though, eventually. After 15-20min of having her work it back in, within about 50-75 yards of shore we lost it to a pulled, and slightly bent, hook.

Back in my tent, I couldn't sleep that night, wondering what we had lost....

I was about 5 or 6 years old when i caught my first fish on the shore. I found my dads old broken rods in the tool shed and tried to get them to work. The reels were frozen and the rods were cracked. I'm not sure how many years they had been sitting there. I dont remember most of the details and a lot of what i know my mom has told me about the day. I took about 20' of line off one of the reels and tied it and an old hook to the end of one of the busted rods which had about 6' left of it (judging by the pic mom has). She said she saw me walking around the yard with it and then i was gone. She found me about 2 hours later walking back through the woods with about a 3 lb speck. No one could figure out what i had used for bait but it worked!!! I had walked 1/2 mile through the woods to Mattawoman Creek and caught that nice trout form the marsh behind our farm. Without knowing it i had caught my first trout 200 yds from where my grandfather spent his life trout fishing (he lived 1/2 mile up creek). I cant wait to take my boy back to the same spot.