7 posts in this topic

to prove people wrong that one is able to catch a huge rockfish off the beach. Everyone i talk to thinks i am crazy for thinking that it's possible to catch a rockfish off the beach... i think this is the year i'm going to put alot of time into proving them wrong, even though i might have to drive 160 miles to do it... this is my year....hopefully....hopefully...

I feel your excitement. This is a good place to stay in touch with what fish are moving up and down the coast and whats biting...so stay tuned in. the big thing is just putting in time on the Beach....which is the most relaxing and best thing i do in my spare time....hope youll love it too.

well i've been surf fishing now for about 3 years and i've learned more being on here for 6 months then i have in the 3 years i've been fishing. there's still people i know(bay fishermen) that think it's impossible to get rockfish right off the surf, oh well hopefully this is the year. i'm thinking maybe i put in a good 4 days in the middle of may i should be able to land one, with the right amount of rabbit's feet and trolls of course..ahha

that sounds like a plan. for all the non-shalantness of the really successful fisherman,they put a lot of time in on the beach and know when to fish and where...not much to chance other than the waitin game. If you are going to plan on a four day trip, id go back through the last few years posts and look at May surf fishing posts, noting the dates when big fish were caught, and any other envoronmental factors you can "glean." then set a date. If you are free to go whenever....keep watching a d listening for when they're bitin!

agreed, #1 thing you can do is be flexible.

I may only fish 10-12 days a year but I will ONLY go if I believe the conditions are right. If the weather isn't to my liking I will always hold off and try again later. Got skunked 1 day in 2009, and even then we did well the next day so the trip was great, caught target species every other time out.

#1 for me is light winds, direction matters but even if that isn't perfect I'll fish so long as the winds are sub 10kts.

I was always under the impression that an East breeze was ideal...pushing bait and fish into the shallows...and when coinciding with a high tide...even better. that true? I dont pay attention to temperature too much..just see if other people are catching fish.but I am by no means the best surfcaster...not even close. Maybe that would help me out even more if I paid more attention to the details. You guys keep a fishing log??

agreed, #1 thing you can do is be flexible.

I may only fish 10-12 days a year but I will ONLY go if I believe the conditions are right. If the weather isn't to my liking I will always hold off and try again later. Got skunked 1 day in 2009, and even then we did well the next day so the trip was great, caught target species every other time out.

#1 for me is light winds, direction matters but even if that isn't perfect I'll fish so long as the winds are sub 10kts.