3 posts in this topic

Will be visiting <acronym title="Outer Banks">OBX</acronym> in October, Just looking for some opinion on length of (spinning) rods to use in the <acronym title="Outer Banks">obx</acronym> surf. I read alot about trout and puppy drum rods, currently using Penn 760 slammer reel on 10' penn surf rod.:happy8:

your current rod will work good for you.

If you bump up to a 11,12, or 13 ft rod you can get some extra casting distance, but a 10ft rod is a good choice. If you don't spend much time doing surf casting, you might even get better distance with the 10ft rod as opposed to the longer rods.

Speaking from VERY little experience (only 2 trips for a total of 13 days in OBX, about 80-90hrs of fishing) you'll be fine with the rod. I had two very inexpensive 10ftr's and did great: blues, flounder, sharks and trout.

Althought this year I will be bringing a lighter, shorter rod for flounder (7ft), as there's no reason to have the larger rods for the smaller fish- they're right under your feet (literally stepped on some while swimming, no more than 25-30ft from shore).

If you really want to make sure you get it out past the first bar, at least for me, it was easier with the 12fter. But not actually necessary.

PS- this was in Ocracoke.