16 posts in this topic

hi there i was wondering what the benefits of using this was and how to construct one...and also if one is able to use a it on a spinning reel?? thanks

The purpose of a shock leader is to be able to cast without your line snapping. The shock leader line takes the brunt force of the cast. Basically its a length of line long enough that wraps a few times around your reel when you make a cast. You tie your desired fishing rig onto one end of the shock leader line and you tie the other end onto the line you have on your reel (running line).

You should use it on both spinning and conventional reels if you are throwing sinkers. Generally you should use 10lbs of shock leader for every ounce of weight you are throwing. So if you are throwing 6oz weight you should be using 60lb shock leader.

quite interesting indeed, now that i think about it i did have a rig break on me a couple years back, when i was using those top and bottom rigs.

isn't there a diagram on how to tie a shock leader to a main line? i thought i remember seeing one on here before. also, do you guys use

braid or monofilament for your main line?? i've always been a mono guy myself, thanks for the info

braid or mono, personally preference. I personally don't like using braid in the surf, and never use braid on conventional reels. For jigging/lures, I'll use braid almost exclusively.

There are two schools on how to attach the shock leader onto the main line. The first school is a single knot, such as the albright,slim beauty. The second though is a two knot system where you double the main line (the line on the reel) and use that doubled line to tie onto the shock leader. To make the double line, use either a spider hitch or bimini twist. To attach the doubled line to the shock leader use a no-name knot or bristol knot.

Of course there are many other knots that will work, but those are the most commonly used.

how much line in feet on average would your shock leader be? i really appreciate the information

your shock leader should be a minimum of the length of your rod, plus the length of your drop, plus a a couple wraps around your spool.

There really is no max, some people use just enough shock leader so they can cast, some like a really long shock leader so they can lock down the drag when the fish is near the shore break and basically drag the fish in and not worry about the line breaking.

In short, you want to make sure that some of the shock leader is wrapped around your spool when you make your cast.

A lot of it is personal preference when using shock leaders. I like to us an albright knot with mono to mono and mono to braid...the mono gives you a little stretch when fighting a fish, and is cheaper than braid. Same thing with large baits. When I am trying to really throw a small chunk of bait far out there with accuracy.....I use 30 to 40 pound braid with no shock leader...because the shock leader sometimes "clinks" through the rod guides and affects your casting distance.

also, I usually go for about 5 "wraps" around my spool with the shock leader. so, attach your shock leader to your smaller diameter running line, then reel the leader up through your guides until it wraps around the spool about 5 times. then cut the shock leader with as much slack from the rod tipto the bait as you usually need to cast...remembering youll have to tie a knot and will loose a few inches. I always leave a little extrashock leader in case I have to change baits...so im not having to cut off the old shock leader and re-tie the shock leader to the running line while im on the beach....

oh ok i get it now, it just takes the majority of the force when throwing big weights. pretty genius i must say

Stephen,

The shock leader is a new concept to me. I've never used one and have never broken off while casting or reeling in a fish. I don't like the idea of more knots than the one you need to tie the hook to the line. Plus, I think the idea of a shock leader was necessary when braid was unavailable. You didn't want sixty pound mono on your entire reel. Braid holds a much smaller diameter than mono though, so you can afford to put a larger test on and not loose castability.

As was pointed out before, it is definitely a matter of personal preference. Try all your options out, see how you feel. I'd hate for you to break the big one off on account of my opinion.

Joel

I used to be of the never use a shock leader crowd until I learned to surf cast. Now whem I'm powering a six and bait out into the surf I'm not worrying about my 30lb running line breaking, because I have a 60lb shock leader tied on. When you are generating the power and speed needed to cast more than 150 yards with a substantial weight you will need a shock leader. I cheat and use braid so I'm not impacted to bad by the larger diameter line.

I used to be of the never use a shock leader crowd until I learned to surf cast. Now whem I'm powering a six and bait out into the surf I'm not worrying about my 30lb running line breaking, because I have a 60lb shock leader tied on. When you are generating the power and speed needed to cast more than 150 yards with a substantial weight you will need a shock leader. I cheat and use braid so I'm not impacted to bad by the larger diameter line.

I wouldn't consider braid cheating, just doing what works for you. Like I said earlier I don't like using braid at all on a surf rod. I have lost a couple of fish because something knicked the braided line (like a broken shell) and it snapped with little to no pressure being put on it. Braid just doesn't have anywhere near the abrasion resistance that mono has and when dragging the line over sand bars and such really tears up the line.

The second reason why I don't like braid for large surf critters is because you better not grab that shock leader to help land a large fish that is in the wash. Braided line under tension will cut into you like a razor blade.

Charkbait did some real life casting tests and has found that there is no real casting distance loss or gain by using either mono or braid as a shock leader. I know he put a LOT of emphasis on perfecting every little detail, so I trust his judgment on this.

disclaimer

There is a huge difference briad vs. mono on a spinning reel. I use 65# braid with no shock leader.

As the size of the bait increases the benefit decreases exponentially as the wind resistance factor outweighs the line resistance factor.

There is no significant difference on conventional reels in fishing conditions. I will fish up to a 60' shock leader depending on the target species.

My point exactly. I dont have the ability yet to cast my my conventional very far...so on my 11' Lami spinning rod with a nice tail section of bunker and 4" of leader to a fishfinder rig...I use 40 lb braid and do my best with that. With a large head / bait and 8 or greater ounces...im using conventional...pretty much by necessity...with a 60 lb or better shock leader to 17 lb suffix mono....thats what works best for me. for in between rigs and distances...i tweak things to what works best given the situation.

i will say, for yakkin out baits and sharking, or with any large powerful fish..i always use mono everything...big shock leaders, etc...i like the stretch when fighting a large critter...and as said...braid gives a sawz-all a run for the money in cutting through skin when your trying to land something big:cussing:...dont mess with it in those situations. I have never had braid part while fighting a fish as some have...but have heard it happens....

the other drawback to braid is that it is slick...and when tied to mono or to anything...the knot can pull through. so you have to double up knots, or tie with extra length remaining...which can be a problem when tying to a shock leader.

disclaimer

There is a huge difference briad vs. mono on a spinning reel. I use 65# braid with no shock leader.

Just to make sure everyone understands this, Charkbait is talking about filling his reel with 65lb braid and NOT using any shock leader whatsoever.