Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dansparty

Anyone Surf Fishing?

12 posts in this topic

Im in Dewey for a few days and have an urge to drown some bait. Anyone having any luck?

you can try, but its a bit tad early in the year. Of course there are fish around all year, you just need a little bit of luck on your side!

There are usually resident stripers in Indian River Inlet....and depending on the weather they can be caught at the right place and right time..It tends to be a specialized kind of fishing....and can be hairy on the rocks.

talk to the people at Old Inlet bait and tackle....which is just north of the Indian river bridge.

Did go out. Wasnt much snow on the beach. A few ling, cold fingers, and a day by myself with nobody around was what I got....try again in 2 weeks.

Cut squid. Im going to head down again for the next few days..see what happens

Has anyone been on the Delaware Beaches fishing lately? ALSO-- I am going to start netting Herring for bait (I'm from Maryland) as soon as they start running. What are the best ways for storing them. Last year I tried putting Kosher Salt on Bunker I had left over and then froze it. It seemed that they weren't hitting as well on it. Has your experience shown that Salted Bait works as well? or even better. Is Salting strictly for preseving the bait or do you feel the fish hit on it better.

Thanks,

Hulk

Hulk,

When salting your baits it is to take the water out of the bait. The water will freeze, expand and create ice crystals in the fish. When you go to thaw the "Unsalted bait", it will be mushy and fall apart. The reason for salting the bait is too keep it firm and preseve the meat as best you can.

Before I freeze baits, I put them in a "slurry". This is ice water and salt, let them soak for a few hours and the I freeze them in a vacumn packer.

Thanks Morty! BTW, I'm taking that 4 ft casting net back and getting a 6 footer. I bought a another rod and reel- Penn Mag 525 and an Ocean Master rod. After I got it home and rigged I discovered the reel seat is too far away from the end. It feels uncomfortable to reach and crank at the same time. The Rod is actually for Spinning, and If I was using a Spinning Reel it would be alright. I'm going to look around down Bass Pro Shop today and see if there is something that feels better and exchange it.

Oh I forgot to ask, how much coarse salt, to how much water do you do for the "slurry"? Do you think after doing this and freezing the bait that it is as good as fresh bait? or better?? Do you put the bait fish in the "Slurry" whole before cutting them up, or "gutting" it??

I'm planning on going to the Lurefest this weekend maybe I'll see you there.

Hulk

Hulk, nothing beats fresh bait. Put your fish in whole, guts and all.

I'll be at Lurefest this year too, getting rumors of the striped one's up this way in New Castle.