39 posts in this topic

I got a nice 9' surf rod for Christmas. Now that fishing is in my head once again, what reel should I get for it? Should I get a baitcaster or a spinning? I will be using it for a little rockfishing in the spring and fall and a lot of sharking during the summer. What would be some advantages/disadvantages of either one for the type of fishing I will be doing? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

if you have experience with convientionals they could be the one you want but, if you dont and just want to get out and fish i would say spinning. For popular conventionals that i know of theres the penn mag 525, daiwa slosh, daiwa saltist, and abu garcias... For spinning reels many shimanos are popular also i like daiwas and there are some popular penns... For spinning reels theres many types but i will just named a few i have used... I have used a penn 550, Okuma avenger, Daiwa bg, Daiwa saltist, and a Daiwa black bite and run..... they were all good for there prices of those i only had 2 survive the last 3 years and they were the daiwa bg and the daiwa bite and run ( saltist wasnt mine)... its all personnal preference if you havent used conventionals before it could be a good thing to learn as they fight fish better but can sometimes be a pain:angry4:... on the other hand spinning reels may be easier to use.... i prefer my conventials for the surf... As people may say they get more distance from a conventials rather than spinning or vice versa idk if it makes too much of a difference unless your distance casting.... hopefully this helped some and hopefully the experts will add on to give you the best answer

doesn't it depend on what the rod is ; spinning or conventional ; as to what reel you put on it ???

Yes but you can use a spinning reel on a coventional rod and vice versa they just don't perform as well on the opposite type of rod.... If you want to be technical then the type of rod matters but it's more up to the owner than anything to which type of reel they want...Also it depends on what your comfortable with

Yes but you can use a spinning reel on a coventional rod and vice versa they just don't perform as well on the opposite type of rod.... If you want to be technical then the type of rod matters but it's more up to the owner than anything to which type of reel they want...Also it depends on what your comfortable with

ok , if you say so ..

but imo you are sacrificing performance ....

to be honest your only sacrificing casting distance not any thing else the rod will still fight a fish the same

in all honesty i'm not going to debate the subject with a 16 year old ....

in all honesty i'm not going to debate the subject with a 16 year old ....

I agree with the 16 year old for the most part.

I personally wouldn't use a spinning reel on a casting rod because of wind knots, but other than that, there really is no reason why you can't switch around between the two.

The rods / reels might not perform "as good" as if they were used for their intended purposes, but most people won't even notice the performance hit.

but most people won't even notice the performance hit.

really ???

have you tried it ??

i have .

and there is a difference ..

really ???

have you tried it ??

i have .

and there is a difference ..

I have a couple spinning rods I use with my conventionals all the time. Specifically I have two 10 ft tica spinning rods that I use to either toss lures or jigs in the surf, or put spot/king rigs on. When i am sharking in the summer I like to put conventional reels on them and toss some big baits close in at night.

I also put conventional reels on those 10 ft rods when using king/spot rigs when the current is ripping and I have to throw 6 or 8 oz weights. Personally I hate throwing anything more than 4oz's with a spinning reel.

By using these spinning rods as dual purpose, its two less rods I have to worry about carrying with me (and purchasing).

Quick question Derf... are you that stupid to really think that just because i am younger than you that i have no intelligence... Why cant you realize that I am just making some points that work.... I cant really see why age would matter in fishing... Also I cant understand why somebody younger couldnt be smarter or better at things.... I dont post on this website to debate with people I just post my insight on what i have experienced during my time fishing. I just find it extremely ignorant of you to think I dont have any good points or anything because I am only 15. Just because somebody does something different doesnt give you a right to say they are wrong. I agree with Jim too because i have used conventionals on spinniing rods...

I've learned more from "fishingeverynight", than I have from a lot of "older guys" on this sight. And thanks to all of you for the info.

How bout this, would the Penn Levelwind 209M or 309M be good on my rod? Im thinking the 209 will be too small for sharking and the 309 will be too big for casting...any ideas? (I don't care how old you are...:icon_thumright:)

To be honest i am not really to familiar with this reel... most conventionals in the surf are usually level wind free but a level wind is fine to use... Personally i think the reel holds enough line for sharking for both models depending on if you just cast baits or yak em... I am not to sure wether or not its castable or if it is too big... Hopefully somebody with more experience with these reels can post their knowledgable input...:icon_wink:

When I first started out using conventional reels, I used a few older rods made for spinning reels. They worked, but it didn't feel right with the much larger guides on top. I've heard folks say that the spine is set to bend a certain way, depending on the build. It would be interesting to hear other experienced rod builders input on the subject. :icon_thumright:

have i called you "stupid "

no i haven't !!!!!!!!!!!

i'm not going to debate anything about fishing with a 16 year old know it all ..

so i'm saying good bye

oh and go eff off ..................

I see I should have read this entire thread instead of my "coffee and skim" routine. :coffee:

Thousands of visitors frequent our forum and many other excellent sites to learn and get excited about fishing.

There is nothing wrong with a healthy debate ... As a matter of fact it can be very beneficial on an enormous scale when using a real time website.

We all have questions and many of us have opinionated answers with valid experiences to back them up.

This thread started with the excitement brought by a new Christmas present. It was an excellent question that has been discussed countless times with countless different opinions. Because of poor judgment and disrespect, it became a surprisingly ugly argument.

Fortunately, this kind of behavior is almost non-existent on our forum and I don't think any of us need to be pointing any more fingers.

Instead, I would hope to see those involved rely on their (evidently strong!) viewpoints and be confident enough to let others keep their own.

When I first started out using conventional reels, I used a few older rods made for spinning reels. They worked, but it didn't feel right with the much larger guides on top. I've heard folks say that the spine is set to bend a certain way, depending on the build. It would be interesting to hear other experienced rod builders input on the subject. :icon_thumright:

It is true that you should build conventional blanks opposite of the "spline" of the rod to help reduce some rod natural "need" to twist when the guides are on top (or is the other way around?). With modern blanks made today the spline is pretty much non-relevant when building the rod anymore. Sure you can still find the the spline, but pretty much any current building is going to build the rod on the straightest axis of the rod, not the spline.

I never thought about all that is involved with making a rod. That makes sense , though, about the spline and where to put the guides and the reel. It makes me want to take a closer look at all my rods. Thanks for the input.

I never thought about all that is involved with making a rod. That makes sense , though, about the spline and where to put the guides and the reel. It makes me want to take a closer look at all my rods. Thanks for the input.

If you want to see some really neat rods, do a search on spiral (or acid) wrapped rods. They combine the best of both Conventional and Spinning rods.

Whoaaaa. Easy.....

Anyway, I have used my loomis 10 ft. 6" baitcast rod with a spinning reel in a bluefish tourney. Im not a "distance caster" by any means....and the action was quick and needed short hooksets...which i feel a spinning reel is better for...for me because of the way my hand is placed on the rod and reel...its easier to set the hook quick.

anyway, I switched my spinning reel on my loomis...because its such a sweet sensitive rod(sounds like a good woman). I noticed there was a loss of some casting distance due to the smaller guide at the baase of the rod....but overall it worked. However, i couldnt help but feel like I was hurting my rod...probobaly wasnt...but i dunno.

In the applications you are going to be fishing for...your gonna need a couple rods and reels at minimum. sharking requires a reel and rod and tackle with serious a$$...capable of possibly stoipping a 200 lb fish...so lots of line, rod strength, etc.

Striper fishing requires heavy tackle...but not on the caliber necessary to shark fish. You said you got a 9' rod...so check what line and weight it is rated for, and match up a nice spinning reel with it. I prefer Penn reels in the "wash" and the new "Slammer" reel is awesome...but its over $100 in price.

In the applications you are going to be fishing for...your gonna need a couple rods and reels at minimum. sharking requires a reel and rod and tackle with serious a$$...capable of possibly stoipping a 200 lb fish...so lots of line, rod strength, etc.

I've got the big rods taken care of. I've got two Penn Senator Rod Reel Combos (Penn Senator 114H Reels), with about 500 yrds of 50/80 mono with big leaders and hooks. So im good with those rods, but my brother and I pulled in a 6' sand tiger with an 8' surf rod last summer, so I figured I could use my 9' surf rod as well.

And as for striper fishing, I agree with what you said. I will have to look at the "Slammer" reel. Thanks for all the info!

I've got the big rods taken care of. I've got two Penn Senator Rod Reel Combos (Penn Senator 114H Reels), with about 500 yrds of 50/80 mono with big leaders and hooks. So im good with those rods, but my brother and I pulled in a 6' sand tiger with an 8' surf rod last summer, so I figured I could use my 9' surf rod as well.

And as for striper fishing, I agree with what you said. I will have to look at the "Slammer" reel. Thanks for all the info!

Actually for fighting fish the shorter the rod the better. As long as the rod is rated for the line you are using you should be fine. A lot of people get in trouble using braided line and setting the drag too high.

The reason why longer rods are used in the surf is for casting distance, not for fighting big fish.

My sharking rods (for yaked out bait) are two 5.5ft 80lb class tuna rods.

Actually for fighting fish the shorter the rod the better. As long as the rod is rated for the line you are using you should be fine. A lot of people get in trouble using braided line and setting the drag too high.

The reason why longer rods are used in the surf is for casting distance, not for fighting big fish.

My sharking rods (for yaked out bait) are two 5.5ft 80lb class tuna rods.

Yeah, last summer my brother and I realized the drag was too high when the rod almost doubled over with the shark on. Luckily, we fixed that and managed to bring in the shark.

My new shark rods are 6.6 ft 60lbish tuna rods. hopefully they hold up...

Yeah, last summer my brother and I realized the drag was too high when the rod almost doubled over with the shark on. Luckily, we fixed that and managed to bring in the shark.

My new shark rods are 6.6 ft 60lbish tuna rods. hopefully they hold up...

You should be fine with that setup. a 50lb class rod is ideal for most, but I found a good deal on my 80lb class rods I couldn't pass up.

PS -- for my shark rods, i like to have a roller top as well.

You guys got it down to a science looks like. I have this St Croix 12' beast of a casting rod....rated to throw up to 16 ounces and rated as Xtra Heavy. I got it as a heaver for large baits...but hooked it up with a penn senator for sharkin last year. It is a stiff stiff rod...but it really helped tire out a large Sand tiger last season that was over 8 feet. I think the extra length really helps "sap" energy out of large fish. I also like how the 12' rod with sand spike keeps the line above the breakers in the wash as well...whereas a shorter rod would get tweaked in the waves close to shore. That said, i havent tried a shorter boat rod for this application....but that seems to be what most do.

Fishin every night...i want to encourage you and your vigor for our sport. thats the way i was when i was your age...Id do anything to fish. Go with it. The comments some make towards you in no way reflect what others think about you on this site...your cool with me brother.....