19 posts in this topic

just a synopsis of my email conversations

my first mail:

Could you tell me what the regulations are for sabiki rigs in Maryland?

Thanks

Roger

Response:

Hello Roger and thank you for writing. Maryland regulations state two hooks or two sets of hooks per line, based on that and from what I think you're talking about (the sabiki rig) I'd say they would be considered illegal. I believe they are used to catch bait fish. Please write back if you have more questions and have a good weekend.

Regards,

Paul Genovese

MD DNR Fisheries

My repsonse

But why wouldn’t they be considered 1 set of hooks?

Roger

and thier response

Hello again Roger. Each hook has its own line stemming from the main line, therefore I would not interpret it as one set of hooks. I'm going to pass your question on to legislative group and see if they have another take on this. Ultimately, it's all how your local NRP officer(s) interprets things so you might want to find out who your Natural Resource Police (NRP) officer is and ask them.

I'll let you know what else I find out.

Paul

well then if they are illegal in MD, someone is making a killin' on 'em as I went to BPS on saturday to buy stuff :lol: and on my list was more Sabiki Rigs and the display rack was all most empty :!::!:

yeah, even thought they MAY, and i stress may be illegal, its not illegal to sell em.

same thing with the spring loaded crab traps, they are definately illegal im md, but you can buy them many places

man this guy is quick with the replies and the name

heres the latest

Roger, I sent your email to someone else as I mentioned and this response follows, his name is Harley Speir.

Keith Lockwood is familiar with the Sabiki rig and defines them as: ...a multi-hook rig snelled on to a main leader in a "Christmas Tree" fashion. They have small flies tied on and they are usually used for catching bait for offshore fishing. They're designed for catching fish around 12" and can have up to ten flies on them.

These rigs with more than two flies with hooks would not be legal in the Chesapeake Bay or in the coastal bays of Chincoteague, Assawoman, Isle of Wight or Sinepuxent. Natural Resources law 4-710 prohibits using more than 2 hooks or 2 sets of hooks for each rod or line. To be legal in the Chesapeake, the number of hooked flies per line would need to be no more than two.

Rigs with more than 2 hooked flies per rig are legal in the Atlantic Ocean. \

Regards,

Paul

ok that makes sense, good job :!: .............but I will continue to use them, just might cut them up into 2 hook rigs or buy more of the larger ones wth only 2 hooks :v:

Ok, here we go again....

He says, she says, he says.....

Spell this verrry slooooly, C...O...M...A...R

Where does it say ok here and not there?

Tuesday but not Wednesday?

SHOW me in the COMAR.

Ask this guy that is writing this to you to give you the COMAR numbers.

sheesh.....paper people.......

SHOW ME THE MONEY!

Ya ask us to follow the rules but you don't even know what they are yourself!

COMAR???????

What'cha think Roger, can he do it? 8)

i think thats the

. Natural Resources law 4-710 prohibits using more than 2 hooks or 2 sets of hooks for each rod or line

and as he staed in the beginning

Ultimately, it's all how your local NRP officer(s) interprets things so you might want to find out who your Natural Resource Police (NRP) officer is and ask them.

so its really still up in the air, i think they are confused about them as we are

i willa sk for a comar section but i think they will refer to the 2 hook comar reg, i know its int here, but dont ask me what it is, so its all in how the officer interperts the regulation.

In the court room world, interpretation can get ya off the hook in an instant.

The law does not specifically state yes or no?

Ok, well, they said yes there and no here?

But your Honor, the COMAR doesn't prohibit me from doing it....

Case dismissed.

Not busting on you Roger, it just sounds like the person will not say yes or no.

If it's no, then show me in writing.

Not, well, if this and if that, and so-and-so says, if they interprete this and that and yadda-yadda-yadda....

I mean, really...

How simple can it get;

Show me the regulation and I will abide by it.

oh i understand, i emailed back asking for the comar, we will see what happens

here is the comar info from DNR

4-710 (i ) Restrictions on certain hooks.-(1) Except in state waters in the Atlantic Ocean, a person may not use more than 2 hooks or 2 sets of hooks for each rod or line.

(2) For the purposes of this subsection, artificial lures or plugs with multiple or gang hooks are considered 1 set of hooks.

Paul

A-ha, part 2 is not that clear now, since it is 1 artifical rig :?:

yep i agree with ay on that one

There it is.....

The Sabiki is legal.

1. State waters of the ocean. (Good to go)

2. One rig with gang hooks. (Good anywhere in MD)

3. Also, under baitfish, it doesn't limit the number of hooks used to catch bait.

So three different ways, the Sabiki is good to go.

I would suggest, if you will be using this rig, print out, laminate and keep this reg with you in your tackle box or bag.

Most excellent emailing and research, thanks for picking it up from me and running with it.

I toll ya if ya get deep enough in the COMAR it would be legal....

Now, just for info purposes, it won't make any difference, but exactly what waters do they consider "state waters of the ocean"? Does it include the inlets? Bay? Rivers up to the tidal mark?

It's too bad they don't do regs in English, too conflicting.

Once again, good work!

Steve, on all nautical charts there is whats called the COLREGS demarcation line, which defines the boundary between inshore and offshore waters. thats also the boundary line for inshore vs offshore navigating, so I'll assume that the COLREGS line applies for the state waters meeting the national waters.

Yep, figured that, but I don't have a chart. Can't get the yak out that far so I don't need 'em. :shock:

I called the DNR about one month ago and asked the same question about the sabiki rigs. He said that sabiki rigs are illegal. He further went on to state that the reason for the two hook law was to stop people from using a dozen hooks on a umbrella rig. Now if the law was designed for the Umbrella rig to make it illegal the Sabiki rig will be illegal as well because it is a rig. The multiple hooks exclusion refer to a plug with three treble hooks counting them as one set of hooks.

I believe the law needs to be revised to allow sabiki rigs. Perhaps the law could allow multiple hook rigs where the hook size is smaller than size six. This would still provide protection of rock fish from multable hook umbrella rigs.

I called the DNR about one month ago and asked the same question about the sabiki rigs. He said that sabiki rigs are illegal. He further went on to state that the reason for the two hook law was to stop people from using a dozen hooks on a umbrella rig. Now if the law was designed for the Umbrella rig to make it illegal the Sabiki rig will be illegal as well because it is a rig. The multiple hooks exclusion refer to a plug with three treble hooks counting them as one set of hooks.

I believe the law needs to be revised to allow sabiki rigs. Perhaps the law could allow multiple hook rigs where the hook size is smaller than size six. This would still provide protection of rock fish from multable hook umbrella rigs.

Ok, I was thinking about using my Sabaki rigs this weekend in attempts to catch fresh bait so I pulled this thread up knowing that it had been addressed. But let me address this last one....if it was put in place to stop people from using a dozen or so hooks on an umbrella rig, why is there a seperate rule that specifically addresses the umbrella rig?

certainly a grey area again. I wouldnt wanna have to pay the fine, then miss work to fight it. Not worth it over a couple of baitfish IMO...