13 posts in this topic

With the exception of a few trips to the nearest fresh water fishery, usually I'm organizing the tackle this time of year waiting for the first sign of spring. Valentines day has me spending a weekend in the Cambridge / Easton area with my lady. I'm thinking about trying my luck from the shore near the Choptank/Rt 50 bridge, or closer to the bay at Tilghman Island. Anyone been out there this time of year? What did you catch if anything? I appreciate any and all help.

Good day.

you might be able to catch some yellow perch.

I would head to the RT50 bridge in cambridge and go out on the talbot side fishing pier (the old bridge) and go all the way to the end to get into the deep channel.

Mid feb is a bit early, its usually early march that I have seen YP show up, but it wouldn't be unheard of to catch a few here and there before then.

Yellow Perch, eh? Hmmm. Beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

Thanks, Jim!!

Usually DNR locks the gates at the rt. 50 bridge in cambridge after the striper season closes in december, usually doesnt open back up til about march or april.

There is usually a run of yellow and white perch from the banks of Martinak State Park in Denton, MD during the latter part of February - Valentines Day may be a bit early this year, what with all the snow we've been having. There is plenty of room to fish near the boat ramp. With the cold water it will probably be all bait fishing. Good luck!

Captain Kevin Josenhans

Josenhans Fly Fishing

443-783-3271

I appreciate all the insight. If I go out, I'll reply with the outcome. Right now, it's up in the air. Not too excited about freezing for the possibility of a few perch. I was hoping it wasn't too early to hook up with a fish that holds some weight. Guess not though.

Yellow Perch are very good when breaded and pan fried. They might not be a big fight, but they are certainly worth catching!

Good Luck

i hunt kind of near there. never even crossed my mind to fish off the choptank bridge. what kind of fish is the normal down there in sep/oct/nov...spots and croakers i assume? is it possible to get a flounder? what kind of bait would be good? thanks

also where does one normally park to fish off the bridge?? thanks

There is parking at either end of the piers - I say piers because it's split in two. It is well identified with signs as you make your approach.

I'm back from my weekend away. I did not go fishing; couldn't stomach being out there anymore than I had to be for shopping and antiquing - aargh. The season is fast approaching though and that's enough to keep me going. Thanks again for all the information from everyone.

There are two nice parking lots on each side of the bridge.

You can catch a lot of fish there. Oct,Nov and Dec are great for rockfish and if you get lucky trout.

During the summer you will catch Spot,Croaker,White Perch, Blues. I have seen some MONSTER black drum pulled in from the pier. I seen a few flounder come over the rail, but never saw any of keeper size. The Choptank is loaded with pretty big catfish as well.

For bait you can use the standard stuff depending on what you are targeting. I generally fish cut bait for blues and cats, lures and jigs for rockfish and trout, bloodworms for spot,perch and etc. Squid is good bait as well for almost everything. peeler crabs will get you into rockfish and black drum.

When you go to fish there, don't forget your crab traps either. During the hot summer months the crabbing there can be excellent. You need traps though, not handliines because the pier is too high off the water.

didn't even think about crabbing, that is an excellent idea. i appreciate the information

I know its kind of unrelated but Yellow perch are in the lower susquehanna in decent numbers right now.