8 posts in this topic

I'm from New Jersey and plan on re-locating to the Wilmington area when I retire soon.

I've been surf fishing the Jersey shore for about 20 years now and would like to continue the sport I love on the beaches of <acronym title="North Carolina">NC</acronym> when I move down there. I've been using fresh Bunker and Clam for bait all these years on a high-low rig with two 7/0 circles hooks to catch Striped Bass.

Are these baits used in <acronym title="North Carolina">NC</acronym> as well, and are they readily available in tackle shops?

If not, what are the baits and rigs they DO use in <acronym title="North Carolina">NC</acronym>?

Thanks in advance.

TSC

5852a58a98c73_Striper20Man2022.jpg.04681

you should be fine. You will probably add mullet to your arsenal!

So Clams and Bunker are the main bait in the NC area also?

bunker , shrimp , blood worms , mullet , eels .....

don't see clams used there .....not saying they wouldn't work . just have never seen anyone use them

oh ...the striper season is short on the banks ,,,,

So what other fish are targeted when the Stripers are gone? We have our summer bluefish runs, and I've caught fluke in the suds over the years, but is there any other fish caught in those waters from the surf that are not caught in NJ waters?

Should have a nice buffet in Wilmington! Start with Reds and cobia and go from there!

Ok, thanks for the input. My wife and I are taking a drive down that way this March but I won't be taking any of my fishing gear with me. When we do finally move I'll be a frequent contributor to this site.

Thanks Again

006.jpg.c0f6ce1744262a896b78b300c1c50bda

My wife and I are taking a drive down that way this March but I won't be taking any of my fishing gear with me.

Definitely try to sneak at least one rod! You never know... :)