7 posts in this topic

looking to get a pair of waders for surf fishing obx and ocean city md areas. never owned a pair. would it be better to get rubber or neoprene. i know neoprene is warmer, but will rubber work if you layer underneath? would use them in march/april and oct/nov. any advise or opinions? thanks

Go with breathable waders they might be thinner but you can layer up on your clothes to keep warm in the winter, so when the weather gets warmer and the water temps are still low you will not sweet to much...

I would stay away from rubber or neopreme. As Ocsnapper said get a pair of breathable lightweights, you can't go wrong with them.

next question is stocking foot or boot foot. This is personal preference, I like stocking foot because you can get boots that fit more like shoes and are a gazillion times more comfortable when wearing them for hours. The only problem I have heard with them is people say that they get sand under the feet and you have to empty them out every once in awhile. Personally I never had to empty my boots on the beach.

What Jim and OCS said, again, breathables will do you even in the coldest weather if you layer properly. Put on some polypropylene pants in the winter and you're good to go...maybe some sweats over the poly and you're done. The poly wicks away the sweat from your body and keeps you warm. Sweat makes you cold and clammy. Wick it away, breathables are light and help as long as you layer properly.

check llbean outlet stores. I picked up a pair of breathable top of the line with boot feet for $59.00 regularly 289.00 two years ago. Love them. Boots are neoprene lined, super warm. And the breathable fabric is great in "warmer" weather. They are holding up well. I am hard on them since they didn't cost too much, and they still do their job.

Thanks for the info on the boots. I've been using neoprene waders with the boots built in and they are a bit big. After several hours of walking on the sand, they tend to hurt my back.

Good info..

I also have a pair of neoprene waders with built in boots, they keep me warm, which is good because the water is always freezing in maine. But boy are they heavy after awhile. I would recommend the lightweight pair too. But thats coming from a 140 pound person wearing 50 lb waders. ha.