17 posts in this topic

I'm sure I'll get alot of opinions for this one. What are the advantages or disadvantages between CONVENTIONAL and SPINNING OUTFITS??? I have really gotten into Surf Fishing this year and have spent alot on equipment. I've bought 6 new Spinning Rigs. I have always used Bait Casters (conventional) in Bass Fishing, primarily for accuracy. In Surf, I thought that the spinning would give you better distance, now I'm not so sure. Help me out here, please.

i do get better distance with conventional gear in the surf but not that much that it really make a huge difference most days.

The reason I use convo for the surf is the ease of casting huge bait and weights. Its much easier to put pressure on the spool with your thumb (convo) than to try and hold the line with your index finger (spinning). I have tried the breakaway cannon's on spinners, but I had a hard time getting any consistency with them.

Another reason I prefer the convo's is they are usually built a little better than a similar priced spinner and have better drags for fighting larger fish that you may hook into in the surf. Clickers are usually much better on the convo's as well, a big plus for bait fishing!!!

I agree with Jim. I have different uses for the 2 different set ups. I can throw further with a spinner than conventional though. That might be because I am usually going the 8nbait way, for larger fish. The smaller fish I will use a spinning set up.

Come tournament time I will use a spinning set up due to the fact, I can turn and burn. Throwing lures I will use spinning as well. Conv are not a great set up to use in this application. IMHO.

I agree with Jim. I have different uses for the 2 different set ups. I can throw further with a spinner than conventional though. That might be because I am usually going the 8nbait way, for larger fish. The smaller fish I will use a spinning set up.

Come tournament time I will use a spinning set up due to the fact, I can turn and burn. Throwing lures I will use spinning as well. Conv are not a great set up to use in this application. IMHO.

Yep, I use spinners for any type of lure/jig fishing. Anything other than my heavers are spinning gear as well.

The same goes for me as both the other guys. You can toss a pound of bait and lead with a conventional reel and appropriate rod...but its pretty darn hard to do the same with a spinning rig. I do feel the baitcasters have more cranking power..probobally because of the gear ratio....so that also helps for reeling large fish and large baits. I think its much easier to set the hook with a spinning rod...its something about your hand placement on the rod..its easier to make quick hooksets and respond when theres a bite at the end of the line...especially when bluefishing and the hits are short and snappy and you have to pull back immediately..

I'm still getting familiar with conventionals in the surf and that is why I am going to get my next couple rods dual wrapped. Had a bad blowup with my Slosh on AI this year and just took it off and put on my Penn 850. Was back in buisness in less than a minute while I picked the braided birdnest.

I think Jim and Morty said it, conventionals are great for throwing heavy baits in a tossed surf, for sure. I usually keep a spinning combo close by for schools and throwing metal or lures just in case.

I'm still getting familiar with conventionals in the surf and that is why I am going to get my next couple rods dual wrapped. Had a bad blowup with my Slosh on AI this year and just took it off and put on my Penn 850. Was back in buisness in less than a minute while I picked the braided birdnest.

Put mono on that reel to learn with.

I think I'm going to get me a conventional ( to keep my other 8 spinning outfits company-LOL). Are the rods used with conventions the same? Which reel would you reccomend? Also, what does "double wrapped" mean, refering to the rod??

Hulk

I think I'm going to get me a conventional ( to keep my other 8 spinning outfits company-LOL). Are the rods used with conventions the same? Which reel would you reccomend? Also, what does "double wrapped" mean, refering to the rod??

Hulk

A double wrapped rod has a certain style of guides on it that allows both a conventional and spinning reel to be used. Normally a conventional reel will have smaller guides and a spinning reel will have larger guides. Basicly all the guides do is keep the line from hitting the blank. So since the spinning reel comes off in a big circle pattern you need larger guides to keep it higher up. With a conventional reel the line comes straight off the reel so you don't need as big of guides.

In practice you can use a conventional reel on a spinning rod without any problems, but you shouldn't use a spinning reel on a conventional rod. This of course is not true if the rod is designed to be used with both spinning and conventional (double wrapped).

As for reels, I learned on a Penn Mag525 and that's what I use today for surf casting.

A double wrapped rod has a certain style of guides on it that allows both a conventional and spinning reel to be used. Normally a conventional reel will have smaller guides and a spinning reel will have larger guides. Basicly all the guides do is keep the line from hitting the blank. So since the spinning reel comes off in a big circle pattern you need larger guides to keep it higher up. With a conventional reel the line comes straight off the reel so you don't need as big of guides.

In practice you can use a conventional reel on a spinning rod without any problems, but you shouldn't use a spinning reel on a conventional rod. This of course is not true if the rod is designed to be used with both spinning and conventional (double wrapped).

As for reels, I learned on a Penn Mag525 and that's what I use today for surf casting.

I was looking online at the Mag 525, it doesn't appear to have a Level Wind on it. Does this type of reel have better performance than the "Level Wind" type?

I was looking online at the Mag 525, it doesn't appear to have a Level Wind on it. Does this type of reel have better performance than the "Level Wind" type?

when surf casting, levelwinds are EVIL!!!!!! Shock knots have a tendency to get hung up in the levelwind opening. When that happens during a cast its sure EPIC failure. Levelwind mechanisms are usually the first thing to fail on the reel as well.

It does take some getting used to laying line on your reel with your thumb but after you get used to it, you don't even think about it anymore.

Yea, all my trolling rods are like that. I never even thought about the Shock leader knot but, you definitely have a point there. I can see them taking the fun out of your day for sure. I'm sure glad I asked, and thanks for your advice Jim.

Yea, all my trolling rods are like that. I never even thought about the Shock leader knot but, you definitely have a point there. I can see them taking the fun out of your day for sure. I'm sure glad I asked, and thanks for your advice Jim.

You also get more distance per cast w/ out the levelwind.

I've also recently begun to get into surf fishing, with a pretty cheap spinning reel and rod but I'd like to branch out and try to get some better equipment. What would be a good conventional reel/rod that is reasonably priced and good to learn on?

I am not sure what you consider reasonably priced.

For a rod, I would suggest a TICA UEHA series rod 10" to 12" long. I would try and find one that is rated to throw at least 8oz of weight. I personally LOVE the UEHA836502C model. The rod I suggested you can find for around $150. If you want to save around 50 dollars you can go with UEHA630502C model.

For reels, I would go with a Penn Mag 525 to learn on. Again that reel is right around 150 dollars new. A cheaper option would be the Daiwa SEALINE-X SLX-20SHA or Daiwa SEALINE-X SLX-30SHA. Borth are great reels but the Penn has adjustable magnetic controls that make learning a lot easier. Also if you have small hands the daiwa can be a beast to hold.

Instead of buying a new reel, you can usually find a Penn 525 used. You might want to consider that option depending on the money situation.