9 posts in this topic

A year has past and a new one begun. How was your 2009? What were the highlights? What are you looking forward to in 2010? What are your goals?

09' for me was a weird year that came with its blessings and curses. We had a lot of bad weather this year and the wind, massive amount of rain, and the cooler air temps put the fishing a little off for me. I caught less numbers but more variety. My first year as a guide was a little slow, mostly because of weather cancellations. My highlight for the year would have to be kayak fishing in the gulf stream catching dolphin. Man what a blast that was! Hopefully in 2010 I will get to fish more, learn more, and have another successful season as a guide. Here are a few pics from this year.

kayakdolphin3.jpg.00d5a1069414dd4b070558

kayakdolphin2.jpg.335fe696863133c37ca628

kayak-sightcast-drum2-1.JPG.ca2bce219544

Great shots, Matt! I know I had a blast this summer / fall with my kayak. I was able to fish places I could never reach with a boat.

I hope to get a decent cool water set up for the spring striper migration.

Thanks for all of your help and kayak fishing advise over the past year!

maryland-kayak-fishing.jpg.6ed74809e93a5

kayak-fishing-assateague-island.jpg.1b0f

cmon people. wake up! where is everyone?
Hibernating :)

Cold weather sux Matt...anyway we know you have been hiding out on the puppy run down there anyway!

actually I have not caught one pup. I have not fished since commercial fishing in FL before christmas. I have been in Northern VA looking for work since christmas. I cant believe it. they are catching limits of tuna offshore, limits of stripers semi-offshore (lol), and guys were catching 20+ pups a day from the beach... and I am out of town.

... they are catching limits of tuna offshore, limits of stripers semi-offshore (lol), and guys were catching 20+ pups a day from the beach... and I am out of town.
Isn't that the way it goes? :)

Matt,

Hola, me llamo es Joel. Places to target the new year: any body of water with some salt! I plan on fishing more of the Chesapeake at places like Point Lookout, MD and the surf at Ocean City, MD. The old lady and I might even head down to Florida for a week. If we do, I'll definitely be wetting my line. With that said, I can't forget where I came from, so I will surely be taking the yak out onto the Mattawoman in search of Largemouth, and onto the Susquehanna and Potomac huntin' Smallies. Did I mention I'm supposed to be fixing my house up for sale this summer? Not sure where that fits into the whole scheme.

There were many good fishing highlights in '09. Blue fish in Ocean City and Point Lookout, Smallies all up and down the Susquehanna, and the beast that has me counting the days until spring, the fish I owe my new found angst for all things gilled with a taste for salt, the thirty pound rock I caught from the surf in November. Wow, what an experience! I've been fishing from the surf since I was a youngin', and never in my life have I ever seen something like that come from the breakers. It was spiritual. I'm thankful to God and this country that I had that opportunity.

I wish everyone a safe, joyous, and memory filled 2010. Here are just a few pictures from '09:

jon.jpg.a281b05e0ce31bada4631be8b979379e

joelresized.jpg.bb2e7033c81a0a7b6f1bdc58

resizedrock.jpg.a803a230dc4c8fca2dc3b58f

Got in some good time with the yaks in the Keys the past year.

Plan to do a few mothership trips like Matt above when summer comes on the Chessie.

But before that, I'll be in the Keys again taking a sleigh ride with a Tarpon!