Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

5 posts in this topic

Got my new Penn 525MAG and 10' rod for X-Mas! Cant went to try it out!

I am debating on loading it up with braided line.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks!

if you haven't thrown a conventional reel before no ..

if you haven't thrown a 525 before , no :)

but some mono on it and get used to it first

I wouldnt put braid on it at first....if ever. Your gonna want to get some cheap mono and start casting in your yard / football field / somewhere open, and get a feel for it. Youll loose some line and get some wild a$$ bird nests...and braid is simply too expensive to practice with. If you havent casted a surf-specific casting reel...it will be a challenge to do so. I say this because I grew up bassin' and casting artificials in freshwater with baitcasters...but had to re-learn things when there was a few ounces on the end of the line and im really trying to get the bait out there. Remember to use some kind of thumb guard when you start..or your gonna loose some skin. Good Luck!!

if you haven't thrown a conventional reel before no ..

if you haven't thrown a 525 before , no :)

but some mono on it and get used to it first

Hey Pal - Take it from me , please. 2 years ago I got my first conventional and I went through MILES of line at first just trying to get it right on the football field. Do your wallet a favor and do not go crazy with any expensive line until you get a feel for it for a year at least. Once you get some sort of a rythim and your fishing alot- then go for whatever line you like. FFEMTREED is right on about the suffix tritanium plus. That stuff is the best so far for casting and durability.

Good luck and be patient - it is very frustrating at first!

Grossy

Hey Pal - Take it from me , please. 2 years ago I got my first conventional and I went through MILES of line at first just trying to get it right on the football field. Do your wallet a favor and do not go crazy with any expensive line until you get a feel for it for a year at least. Once you get some sort of a rythim and your fishing alot- then go for whatever line you like. FFEMTREED is right on about the suffix tritanium plus. That stuff is the best so far for casting and durability.

Good luck and be patient - it is very frustrating at first!

Grossy

Unfortunatly that sufix line is next to impossible to find anymore. I have been using some 17lb cajun line that seems to be good and its cheap.

As others have said stay as far away from braid as you can.