5 posts in this topic

Ok - tic tic tic - packing up for the trip to Avalon, NJ. I'm hearing that most of the stripers taken have been on clams up there. I'm assuming at very least I'd be downsizing the size hook for clams? I've heard of people going down as far as 5/0 gamas. Anyone fish clams? Other than smaller hooks, anything different you do with them (use hi lo versus fish finder, etc).

Or is it as simple as using say a 5/0-7/0 instead of my usual 8/0-10/0 (I use owner ssw circles) and rig a fishfinder as normal? And do you hook the whole "glob" of clam on the hook or just the foot?

Plan on asking around once i get there, but I'd like to see what expertise is on the board here first (and I'd like to make a few rigs up tonight to be ready)

I use the same setup as I do with bunker, but yeah, you can downsize the hook.

Single or double hook system with weight on a FF.

Coop's the resident expert on clams.......

You can use bait holder style hooks but I just use thinner gauge 8/0 or 6/0 gammi circles,,,those ssw owner hooks are good also for clams,,,the 8's or better yet the smaller hooks maybe more practical for clams,,,the main reason you dont need a big hook is that the clams are a soft tissue bait so the whole hook is pretty much in play when you get a hook up,,,when I use clams, I use that 2 hook fish finder discussed a while ago,,,always seemed to work for me,,,if skates and doggies are thick, I would just go with bunker heads on a simple ff rig,,,I personally prefer bunker over everything else when it comes to catching stripers,,,tho, clams are big in NJ for stripers, so who knows for sure,,,good luck and have fun,,,stripers should be running good up there next week :D .

Thanks for the info Coop- I've got a few 7/0 ssw single hook fishfinders ready, a few 6/0 gammi fishfinders, 1 hi lo with 7/0s and i made up a double fishfinder rig as you described before with 8/0 SSWs (ran out of 7/0)

That should be enough to get me started - i'll look at the size of the clams once i'm there and now that i've actually had some practice making rigs (learning how to do dropper loops, judging lenghts, etc) - i can make more.

Can't wait - this is my week - i'm feeling it! :mrgreen:

Good luck, Steve. I hope you get into them!