Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest igormothra

Dont Know Why I Didn't Step Up Sooner

6 posts in this topic

Just picked up my first casting rod and reel. WOW I absolutly love it. I dont think I am ever going back to spinning gear. The cast is tricky but once I get past the fear of birds nesting and loosen up a bit, I can see why so many people use these rigs. I can't wait to pick up a rod for the surf and really get to wing it out there. :loveit:

Yes, it is a very different kind of cast, but I certainly like it better. Remember, it is a love/hate relationship (as Coop says). You love them when they cast right right and when they don't.... well. Wht kind did ya get?

I picked up the Abu Garcia 7000cs. Right price range, seems to have a good braking system, but since I am unfamilar with the whole set up I am still kind of flying blind. It feels like a good reel for someone like me. If anybody has a suggestion for my next reel let me know, I am re outfitting so I have a few more reels to buy and I am open to all sugesstions. [smiley smilie=6 fontcolor=FF0000 shadowcolor=000000 shieldshadow=1]BIG FISHES[/smiley]

And I have to add...... thanks Mom for letting me borrow your reel so I could figure out if I liked the conventional reel. I know you said Dzia Dzia taught me but I realy dont remember.

haha.. Well, I think the abu's are pretty good. Also, the Penn 525's are very good for the money. The Daiwa surf caster is nice and has a loud clicker.

Is that a thresher in that pic?

nope that is my very first Mako. We almost felt guilty bringing him in barely leagal but it was a crappy day and my buddy was hanging over the side all morning and we called it a day. Then we grilled up some steaks and the guilt vanished.

Very good reel,,,that sounds all to familiar after someone who cast conventional with weight and bait,,,"I dont think I am ever going back to spinning gear",,,you'll have your blow ups, but with time, you'll love conventional.