6 posts in this topic

Hey yall ... I got me a new surf rig and im lookin for a good line to put on it.... ..... shoult i go with like braid..as the line goin into the water and then a backing or somethin or should i just go with a strait mono... the reel is a Okuma spinning ABF65 ... the rod is a Tica TC2 .. extra heavy 15-40 lb line.... will be fishing from the surf.. so ... tha

thanks for the help

Trout Bum, I starting surf fishing this year with a big 12' Tica and I found a nice Daiwa Grand Wave 5000 spinning reel that I think is probably similar in size to your Okuma. I have 40lb braid yellow super pro that took some time getting used to. Broke off lots of rigs learning to tie a good mono shock leader on the braid. You will definitely need a mono shock leader (40, 50 or 60lb) with the braid if you are going to chunk it way out there. I went with the braid to get the extra distance, smaller diameter, plus it doesn't stretch, but it definitely has it's cons. The line is super smooth and does cast far, but you will get wind knots and I don't think the super flemsy soft braid does well with the large diameter guides on spinning rods. Many times when I was chunking hard, the line would wrap around one of the guides and pow, there wen't another rig. I am switching back to mono with this rod, 17-20lb. I will gladly give up a few yards in casting distance. I may try another rod with smaller guides with braid in the future and I do use braid on my 9' spinning rod. But if you are chunking real hard with 11' or 12' rod, you will need to be smooth and still expect some break offs. With all that said, I would recommend the mono. It's much easier to tie, much more visible, plus if you are fishing on a pier, the most of the pier fishermen prefer mono to help ease the tangle-ups, etc. Hope this helps with my limited experience... CrackerJack

Thanks Jack.. good to know... yeah i learned that tryin to use it with fly gear the braid that is.. thought it might be less visible to the fish and gibe me some more holding power but the false casts would snap right through it

thinkin about a good mono from about 17-20lbs

Can't go wrong with mono, but the braid will work too. Are you bottom fishing with rigs or casting?

Trout, I prefer braid on my spinners. I use 30# power pro with a shock leader for soaking and throwing heavier payloads. Straight braid for plugging with a short steal leader when Spanish or blues are around. There are a few simple knots that work quit well with braid that dont take long to learn. There is also a slight learning curve with braids you will pick up on quick. Now on my conventionals, I like Tritanium 17# mono. Great strength and low memory. I use 60-80# shock leaders.

Hope this helps.

ittl be for soakin baits on the bottom .. dont really have any thing to plug with or something like that