5 posts in this topic

Couple of questions. First I have seen some monster drum caught at night so they obviously feed at night. Do stripers hit at night? Have only fished in the dark once and that was near a full moon. This saturday it will be just the opposite and cloudy. I know that there have been blues around too. Same question goes for them. Do they only hit during the day? My plan is to get to <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym> at dawn (need to hit the bait shop when they first open which I assume is 6 am). Fish all day and if there is a decent opportunity for strikes at night I'll fish then too. I know you can only do this on the <acronym title="Maryland">MD</acronym> side of <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym>.

I already got advice on bait shops in a previous post. Just trying to make this trip as fun and successful as possible. Thanks for any and all tips!

Also if you do fish at night on the <acronym title="Maryland">MD</acronym> side what is the rule. I know you can't camp on the beach. So I assume this means you can't itch a tent to stay out of the wind.

IMHO, Blues hit, primarily, during daylight hours. I have never caught a Blue at midnight. Striper will hit anytime. Two hours before and 2 hours after the swing of each tide, seems to be good for me. Lets not foget the dawn and dusk bites.

Drum will hit during the day and nihgt. I must say a low tide bite is best for them. I have seen more fish caught during the night than the day.

Best of luck.

Agree with morty on most counts, very few blues after dark unless on lures. Night time is the right time for most large surf fish. Incoming water is far and away best for me on drum, get some on low but maybe 10% of my fish and 10% on the outgoing, the rest are incoming-flood tide.

You must be actively fishing to be on AI at night, no tents and no resting your eyes.

the door is shutting on large for sure, good luck.

thanks. Big kudos to Maryland. No license needed to fish the ocean :icon_thumleft: