Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HULK

What Water Tempeture Does the Fish Stop Hitting?

16 posts in this topic

I'm still fishing Delaware and was wondering if someone would tell me what water tempeture do the fish stop hitting.

First, welcome to the board.

IMHO, when the temp gets below 48 degrees, the fish get "lockjaw". I find the resident stripers will hit, but the migrating fish seem to just swim by.

I agree last year when the water off VA Beach reached that temp they got lockjaw, and we foul hooked a couple that had milky looking eyes too.

Once you get in the cold end of the spectrum, stripers will hit, even water temps in the upper 30's...probably not the medium to larger ones, but definitely schooly size stripers, and there is always a slightly larger one in the mix that can be had...maybe around 30" in very cold water. I think finaddict is correct, water temps around mid to upper 40's the larger ones are just tough to catch/find.

IMO, we have a tremendous amount of resident stripers between the delaware and chesapeake, small and a few medium ones...and with the right wind, a larger one might just work its way in during the middle of winter...thats what keeps me going back in the winter...at least the schoolies can keep me somewhat busy with hopes of a larger one roaming around.

I fish all winter, with the exception of last winter...it was just to cold. Hopefully this winter will be relatively mild...Catchem up and welcome to the site!

IMO, we have a tremendous amount of resident stripers between the delaware and chesapeake, small and a few medium ones...and with the right wind, a larger one might just work its way in during the middle of winter...thats what keeps me going back in the winter...at least the schoolies can keep me somewhat busy with hopes of a larger one roaming around.

!

coop,

what direction wind would be good to bring em in? I am guessing east or NE? with west winds tomorrow and friday would the fishing generally be worse than if it were a NE wind? I have fished a lot with my dad but never really paid much attention to wind direction and it's correlation to how good the bite is. Anyone else want to chime in i'd like your input.

coop,

what direction wind would be good to bring em in? I am guessing east or NE? with west winds tomorrow and friday would the fishing generally be worse than if it were a NE wind? I have fished a lot with my dad but never really paid much attention to wind direction and it's correlation to how good the bite is. Anyone else want to chime in i'd like your input.

I wouldn't worry about wind direction, tho I prefer a east/southeast wind (depending on the beach, I like it right into your face when looking straight out in the ocean). I have caught them on almost every wind, but it seems if the wind is blowing on shore, whether NE, E, SE, I seem to catch more. I think the worse is when the wind blows hard offshore (W,NW) for an extended period of time, but IMO, its still worth soaking bait.

I wouldn't worry about wind direction, tho I prefer a east/southeast wind (depending on the beach, I like it right into your face when looking straight out in the ocean). I have caught them on almost every wind, but it seems if the wind is blowing on shore, whether NE, E, SE, I seem to catch more. I think the worse is when the wind blows hard offshore (W,NW) for an extended period of time, but IMO, its still worth soaking bait.

Thanks Scott. Of course the wind is going to blow hard offshore from today through when I get to <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym> (<acronym title="Maryland">MD</acronym> side) on Saturday morning. Hope there is some structure near one of those parking lots otherwise it may be hopeless. I plan on fishing dawn through the day and into the night hoping for some bite. I guess that's why it's called fishing. If it was always catching it might get old....ummm maybe not :)

what's the rule on :icon_pidu: while fishing at AI?

Thanks Scott. Of course the wind is going to blow hard offshore from today through when I get to <acronym title="Assateague Island"><acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym></acronym> (<acronym title="Maryland"><acronym title="Maryland">MD</acronym></acronym> side) on Saturday morning. Hope there is some structure near one of those parking lots otherwise it may be hopeless. I plan on fishing dawn through the day and into the night hoping for some bite. I guess that's why it's called fishing. If it was always catching it might get old....ummm maybe not :)

what's the rule on :icon_pidu: while fishing at <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym>?

Not sure on that, I think you can on the national but not the state, but you may want to check.

Not sure on that, I think you can on the national but not the state, but you may want to check.

I found it. You are permitted to have it on the national shore which is where I will be as the state park won't allow parking after 6pm.

I found it. You are permitted to have it on the national shore which is where I will be as the state park won't allow parking after 6pm.

I'm here to go fishing, does anyone know how the bite has been the last couple days in Delaware?? I'm heading to herring point to start tomorrow.

I'm here to go fishing, does anyone know how the bite has been the last couple days in Delaware?? I'm heading to herring point to start tomorrow.

l'm starting at Herring point (Delaware) tomorrow, is anyone else going fishing tomorrow??

l'm starting at Herring point (Delaware) tomorrow, is anyone else going fishing tomorrow??

I hear 3R's and Bethany-Fenwick is picking a few.

I'm going to start at HP, I did well last week at HP, moved to towers near GP and did real well. Then I'll head to 3 R's and Fenwick, thanks for the info.

I'm going to start at HP, I did well last week at HP, moved to towers near GP and did real well. Then I'll head to 3 R's and Fenwick, thanks for the info.

How did you do today? I'm thinking about heading down Friday or Sat.

How did you do today? I'm thinking about heading down Friday or Sat.

I didn't get any. I got a really late start (2:00) and then I got in the truck for a minute and fell asleep. LOL

I'll let you know tomorrow.

48degrees is when it's time to reserve a spot on Capt.Monty's headboat and do some toggin.