12 posts in this topic

I surf fish at the Delaware State Park Beach-- 3 R's Beach to be specific. I want to start fishing all year round, what type of waders do you reccomend? I want ot buy a pair for myseld and my 13 year old son

Thanks

Bernie

First welcome to the board.

The waders, I use, will vary depending on the conditions I am fishing. When the weather is really cold and windy or even raining, I use chest waders. In the summer or nice fall weather, I will use hip waders. This is a preference kind of thing and this is just my opinion. Staying dry and warn during an extended fishing expedition is key to getting the big one. Nothing worse than leaving the beach when the bite is on because you are cold and wet.

I have a pair of neoprene and a pair of hip waders. Then I went and bought a pair of breathable waders and quite honestly it was the best thing i ever did. I even use them on the river in the winter and as long as you dress for conditions you'll stay warm.

doesn't matter, the water is always one inch deeper than your waders

Breathable chest will cover all conditions IMO.

I agree, lightweight breathable chest waders is the way to go!

I also use a pair of mud mucking boots every once in awhile when I don't want to put waders on. I bought them for like 20 dollars somewhere.

Agree breathable chest. Layers of polar fleece and dry/semi-dry top will keep you warm and dry in the coldest conditions and shorts in the summer will keep you from sweating your a$$ off.

fishing from the beach, do you reccomend getting felt or cleated sole??? does it make a huge difference??? i got a pair for christmas that are felt sole... i dont have any experience with either, any words of wisdom will help... i need to know weather or not i should return them

I have the breathable chest waders with felt sole.

Like others, I dress for the temperatures.

Sweat pants under loose pants, or felt-lined jeans under the waders.

I use some neoprene boot foot waders...and after slogging around for a few hours, they get combersome. They also can cut into my shins...unless i wear wader socks. Im due for some breathable, stocking foot waders.....which would be my recomendation. You can always add layers to make the waders fit the conditions as it gets colder, as well as varying the boots you add over the stocking foot..if you plan on fishing on rocks (where you want studded soles). My buddy really likes these neoprene booties (like someone mentioned before) for on the sand. the only problem with stocking foot waders is that sand can get in when your on the beach, making it annoying.

thanks for the input gentlmen....anyone still hooking up out there? i want to try my fancy new shiny waders out