7 posts in this topic

I want to get a new rod & reel set up for surf fishing! I have always used spinning outfits for the surf. I am interested in a conventional type bait casting reel and a rod to match. Any suggestions?

I have Penn spinning reels and they have always been my favorite. Is there a Penn conventional reel that is good for casting on the surf? I have a couple older model Penn conventionals but I don't think I can cast with them.

What are most of you guys using ?

That question could have a lot of different answers. I'd narrow them down a little by giving everyone a price range you want to stay in. But, when it comes to Conventional Reels...especially since you like Penn, 99% of your answers are going to steer you towards the penn 525 mag. Now the rod is where we need to know a little more. Do you want off the shelf or custom. For off the shelf I love my Tica and OM rods. I'd suggest off the shelf, most people like conventional once they start, however there are some who return back to spinning and never get the hang of the conventional. So, stick with a good off the shelf model rod and you can always upgrade later if you like it.

Tica or Ocean Master Rod paired with Penn mag525

If you want to spend a tad bit more money a breakaway HDX with a Penn Mag525

if you want to spend even more money get a custom rod with a Penn Mag525

Once you master the Penn you can try other conventional reels, they all have their pro's and con's, but for learning the mag525 is the best of anything. Of course that's my opinion.

Ok!

Thanks for the info! Checked out the Penn525MAG online & it looks like the way to go.

Now I know what to tell the wife to get me for X-mas.

Thanks , again!

Fish-on!!!!

Ok!

Thanks for the info! Checked out the Penn525MAG online & it looks like the way to go.

Now I know what to tell the wife to get me for X-mas.

Thanks , again!

Fish-on!!!!

525 mag...excellent choice!

One advantage of a custom rod is that you could get it dual wrapped. Which means conventional or spinning so if you don't care for conventional you still have a great rod you can put the spinner back on. Just last weekend I put a nasty birdnest in my slosh, and instead of picking it out I just put my Penn 850 on and was back in action.

One advantage of a custom rod is that you could get it dual wrapped. Which means conventional or spinning so if you don't care for conventional you still have a great rod you can put the spinner back on. Just last weekend I put a nasty birdnest in my slosh, and instead of picking it out I just put my Penn 850 on and was back in action.

A number of years ago I decided to go conventional also.

My choice at the time was the then available 10 ft, Ben Dooer Surf System rod from St. Croix.

I topped this rod with a Penn 310 and have had great success with it over the years on the Delaware and Maryland beaches.

This fall, I bought a 9ft. Tica conventional and installed an Ambassadeur 6500C3 bait caster.

This has turned out to be a super combo in many respects including landing 10-12 # Blues in a recent surf blitz.

I.M.O. Tica rods are as good/ better than St. Croix's at 1/3 the price and of course, the Ambassadeur reels speak for themselves.