13 posts in this topic

The access to our beaches have been slow to open after the last blow, but some are already open. I hope the fishing picks up after a few days of it laying down. Feel free to post your reports here.

I hit the sand at DSSP today at 10:00 a.m.

The beach all looked about the same, so I set up right in front of the walkover. There were loads of trucks on the beach in both directions.

I threw out a head on one rod and a chunk on the other. I sat for a while and stared at the ocean. I pulled in my baits every 20 minutes or so to freshen them up. Nothing. After about an hour and a half I started to get discouraged. I tried to stay positive. I thought there must be a few fish heading south. Just then my rod gets slammed and the fight was on. I could tell it was a big blue right away by the lightening fast runs and rapid direction changes. The fish made two or three good runs before I hossed him up on the beach. 35" I'd say around 12 or 14 lbs.

I fished for another hour and a half before I had my second bite. It was a heavy bite, and as soon as I raised the rod tip and started reeling I knew I had a LARGE fish on the other end of the line. I fought the fish for about five minutes with three long runs. A crowd began assembling behind me during the fight. I thought the fish was ready to beach after the third run, and I guided him through the outer breaking wave. I saw the huge dorsal fin of a very large striper. A short powerful run, a huge swirl, a few head shakes and he was gone.:icon_frown: A collective groan emerged from the crowd.

I fished for a couple more hours with no bites except for an undersized flatty.

Oh, and I can't forget to mention I got my first skate of the Fall Run!:roll: Sorry, no pic:booty:

DSCN0693res.jpg.d52c882a4868ede829795a3d

DSCN0694res.jpg.5c804e5d23035cd5753968b1

DSCN0695res.jpg.cdd476fdaead3f651d361dd3

DSCN0696res.jpg.9ca3fca5a1be5e9541334952

WTG gotta love the "one that got away" stories. I have many myself:icon_rabbit:

WTG gotta love the "one that got away" stories. I have many myself:icon_rabbit:

I think I get a little too excited and don't properly play the fish out prior to beaching them. It seems like the blues and the dawgies are all well hooked though :roll: Next time I'm going to loosen the drag a touch and let the fish run a little more with a little less hook pressure on the mouth. I'm also going to move up from the 7/0 circles I've been fishing.

I went back out to DSSP this morning at 10:00 and fished until 2:00. The OSV crossover was closed, so the walk-on beach was packed. I caught two throwback stripers right away on chunks, both about 24". One guy fishing just S. of me also had two TB stripers. A guy to the N. of me caught what looked to be a keeper flounder. I packed up and headed N. to the savages ditch crossover which wont be opening anytime soon and walked across. I found a nice hole and fished it for about 1.5 hours w/t nothing but a skate.

I'll be back at it on friday.:happy3:

Make a suicide run to the bay this morning an hopes of finding some stripers. Bluefish action was pretty good as we caught about 9 or 10 up to 15 lbs. I actually broke my personal best for he 15 lb blue and then broke my personal best striper with a 30lb fish. Weather was a little chilly with a light chop. Made it home late for the thanksgiving dinner but the trip was well worth it.

delaware-striped-bass.jpg.0bce1eb467d944

Great job and very nice fish!

Thought it was only going to be a Turkey weekend with family after I could get no fresh alwife/bunker on way down. But found fresh bait at H'em&C'em N-IRI. Hit Bethany 11/28 at around 9:00am. Stiff W wind, but made for a flat surf. I couldnt keep two rods in the water. Mix of spiny dogs and big blues. The sharks got really annoying, as most got throat hooked even with 6-7o circles. I was using 50lb fc leader, and between blue bight-offs and sharks, must have gone through a whole packs of gams. Within 2 hrs, ran out of bait, tide just started coming in, landed last blue, and had to leave. No stripers today. I stayed with circles and no floats so only landed 3 blues, many fights, most bight offs, and had to change leader/hooks several times. Non-stop all morning, and my arms ache a little. All thrown back. Goog luck to all you locals who can fish the this week...wish i could.

Nice catchin', I'm itchin' to get back down this coming week!

I hit the sand at DSSP this a.m. at 8:00 sharp. There were very few people fishing to my amazement. Things were slow until about 10:00 when the blues decided to show up. I ended up beaching 7 blues from 30" to 37". I had a half dozen bite offs, and lost a couple of fish in the wash. All fish were caught on chunks. About noon, the beach got real crowded. By the time I left at 3:00 it was elbow to elbow. I still cant believe how guys with OSVs like to pull up within 20 yds :icon_thumbdown: of walkover fisherman. All in all it was a beautiful day. I released all the fish except for one that I gave to an older guy and his wife that I met down there last Weds.

For some reason I cant download pics????

With ya on the pics. Nice catching on the blues. Wish I was there with you, only 50yds away.

Fished CHSP Sunday and hammered the blues. Caught a doz or so with many bite off. Bunker were busting, birds were working and the blues were crashing the party. I was loving it. We tossed Hopkins, Crippled Herring, what ever was in the water was being desimated. Great day to be on the beach.