10 posts in this topic

Hello To All,

I am relatively new to this site and like what I see so far. I have fished my entire life but have mainly stuck to fresh water. I would like to branch out in to saltwater, esp in the OC, MD area. I have access to a house there year round. I purchased an 11 ft SeaStriker Beach Runner last year to do some surf fishing and now I'd like to purchase another rod, smaller to use in the surf and for pier fishing. I am currently looking at the Ugly Stik Big Water. Any suggestions for size? I am currently looking at either a 7 or 8 ft. Is this a good length? M or H action? Also, any suggestions for a good reel to match it up with? Thanks

Welcome aboard!

Some of the pier guys will jump in as soon as they get in from fishing, everyone has been kept away from fishing because of the coastal storm. First decent day this week.

Well, maybe 2nd... :D

Your 11 footer is fine for the beach, a lot of ppl use 'em on the piers too.

You will need a square drop net if you get a decent fish on the pier, it's the only way to pull it up.

Folks just tie it to the end of a rope and lower it down to the water.

My two pier rods are a 8 ft Tica and a 7ft ugly stick.

I like the tica better because it has a little more backbone to it and i can keep fish out of the pylons better, and its 10000 times lighter than the ugly stick. The downside is the tica rod is twice the price of an ugly stick. Its also graphite so its not as durable as the ugly stick. That is not saying its going to break, it just means you gotta take care of it more and be a little more cautious with it.

Thanks for the reply. any advice when choosing a reel. i will only get the opportunity to go salt water fishing maybe 5-6 times per year so i dont want to spend a lot of money. i am looking at the penn captiva. anything better for that price range?

I have a 6ft 6" big water ugly stick. They are excellent rods. It is a medium action rod rated for 1/2 oz- 3 oz. of weight. I have it matched with a Penn Captivia reel and 15 # test monofilament. This is a good all around rod/reel/line combo for almost all fish from croaker to stripers. The only problem is that the rod and reel is very heavy but i dont mind that for the sensitivity you get. For the price you cannot beat it. This is the only rod i use at the inlet also. I use it on the beach too. I have a 10ft Daiwa sealine, Shakespeare Ugly Stick Tiger Rod with an abu garcia ambassaduer casting rod and this rod i would give to 5 stars and think this is the combo you should get HAPPY FISHING!!!:hello:

i have a penn captiva and its the only reel that fell apart on me. I had to superglue the bail wire in place because the plastic around it cracked.

I have had good luck with the Okuma Avenger reels in that price range. A lot of people knock Okuma, but its one of the first reels I ever bought for saltwater and I still use it till this day. I have the baitrunner version of the reel.

As with any reel, make sure you rinse it off with fresh water when you are done with it. This is especially true for reels your only going to use a few times a year. You don't want them sitting around and corroding.

Thanks for all the advice. I plan on coming up to OC in early Dec. Would like to cathc some stripers. WIll be fishing from shore. Any advice on bait or location? Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. I plan on coming up to <acronym title="Ocean City">OC</acronym> in early Dec. Would like to cathc some stripers. WIll be fishing from shore. Any advice on bait or location? Thanks

The surf in OC and Assateague can be productive. The OC inlet and Route 50 bridge at night can be very productive.

I have 2 of the Abu ambassadors and love them. They are definitely a good choice. Easy to cast, and have a very smooth drag.

I H-A-T-E ALL Okuma reels with a passion but for the bait and location..... For stripers

1.bunker, use the head, chunk the body, get frind of the tail.

2. Finger Mullet cut the mullet in to two pieces, get fid of tail.

3. Bloodworms for smaller stripers, but 6 -10 inch worms on lonk shank hooks.

For locations. The ocean city beach (were i fish), Assateague Island, The Piers, The Bay, The Rt. 50 bridge, The OC inlet (also were i fish), and Indian River Inlet ( also were i fish). If you fish the inlets fish plugs, bucktails, soft plastics, and any saltwater worms. If you bottom fish inlets it could be productive but be prepared to loose tackle. Use river sinkers or bank sinkers, no sinkers you would use in the surf.

HAPPY FISHING!!!!:icon_rr: