21 posts in this topic

A friend has informed me that the sand tiger that I caught was protected and you are not allowed to keep them. I guess it is a good thing that I released him but if it was a little bigger he would have come home for dinner. Does anyone know this to be true? I have looked on a few sites but nothing has said you can or can not keep any shark. please piont me in the rite direction the last thing I want is to deal with the federal gov.

Chomper hit the nail on the head. :v:

OK - but in Virginia its one shark per day - period.

No size and no species restriction.

Correct?

If I'm right (and I was last year anyway) how can one state say something is legal and on the same island another state says it's endangered and its a no keep zone?

What - different biologists?

Welcome to the board skeeterbait, we should all have the same nickname by now....

Or maybe skeeterfeeder...

Anyway, ENJOY!

I just want to catch one so I have the problem of identifing it(#$%^#ing rain):mad:

OK ...... so I looked at Chompers posted pictures and description REAL close and I still can't be sure that if I pull one out at midnight on the beach I'll be able to tell between a Sandbar and a Dusky.

So how do you differentiate in the real world at night on the beach? I'm not going to get down with a magnifying glass and look for scales vs. bumps on the hide.

which ones are good to eat that you can keep might be a better question

You can tell by seeing them over and over and over again.

It helps to have someone with you that can ID them for you in the beginning, it'll all come to ya.

When you land a Sand Tiger, you will know.....

Very jagged teeth and sort'a humped head.

OK ...... so I looked at Chompers posted pictures and description REAL close and I still can't be sure that if I pull one out at midnight on the beach I'll be able to tell between a Sandbar and a Dusky.

So how do you differentiate in the real world at night on the beach? I'm not going to get down with a magnifying glass and look for scales vs. bumps on the hide.

Very good question. No real easy way, if you dont think magnification is for you. Put simply, if you think you may be in possesion of a protected species, ya better put it back in the water. Unless you want to chance a fine. Its your call, but proper identification is one of the keys to being a responsible fisherman/sharker. Check out the Thread about the mistaken identity of a protected great white shark. Not a good scene. :frown:

Can anyone help me identify the shark I caught a month ago, I cant seem to get

the picture off my cell phone but I will describe the best i can, It was roughly 5 feet The teeth were not very pointy, just a lot of teeth small and close together, It was brown on top and greyish white on bottom, The biggest thing I noticed was it had two dorsal fins one on its back and one near its tail. It also had a very sharp pointed tail. The dorsal fins were also the exact same size. Im thinkin it was a sand tiger, that is the only fish picture of shark i have seen that looks similiar. thanks

It may have been a juvenile but how many species of shark have two dorsals that are the exact same size and shape in this area?

Can you email the pic to yourself then u/l it here?

I have tried to email it to myself but it keeps giving me a failure code. I am still working on it though.

Hey If I can make it to the get together on the 28th I can show ya then.

Signal not strong enough to send media, different from voice use. Try from a different place with a full signal. At least that worked for me....

Or, maybe you don't have the option through your providor....

Chomper

I agree with the comment that you make about - when in doubt throw it back.

I guess I'm just looking for ways to tell so I CAN be sure and not doubt.

I was thinking to review the fin angle closely or look at the relative positions of dorsal to pec fins.

Steve - what is it that you do to KNOW after seeing them time and time again? Surely you must key in on something.

Skeeterbait

When you start seeing them right in front of you, you'll know.

Kind'a like recognizing a neighbor, just look at their face...

For now, you can look 'em over real good on fishbase.org.

Sand Tiger

Dusky

Sand Bar

Black Tip

Spinner

Bull (very nasty critter)

There are prolly a couple-few other that I can't think of at the moment, someone else will complete the list of close-in critters. I left out stuff like Lemon, Mako, Blue, Great White and others because it would be very rare to see them at the shore (but not impossible).

Mako from shore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One day fellas, one day. I doubt anyone would have trouble ID-ing that one.

Well, I dunno....

They might ID it as a GW....

:mad::mad::mad:

There are no fences, fellas. :redface: