8 posts in this topic

Hey,

i was hoping to get a little help on some rockfish action. I promised my father-in-law that i would go rosckfishing with him. the problem is neither of us have ever realy fished them. he has a 19ft boat so i was thinking the cbbt. Is evening better than during the day? What baits are working best. Any thing that might help us catch a fish or two.

Should be schooling up here soon with fish in the 18"-30" class.

Remember the CBBT weather can change fast, but if you can go out just look for the schools of birds and toss some 4-5" storm shads in them or use a piece of metal or bucktail and jig for them.

CBBT at night in the lightline all the way up you can bank on them. Slow retrieve with the storms. Let it go to bottom and slowly back up.

If you want to chunk some menhaden you can do that as well! Trust me, you will see the other boats out there!

I like the last 2 hours of incoming, then first 2 of outgoing.....Just makes sure you have moving water.....

I prefer the trolling. Troll at slow speeds (3 - 5 mph). I troll 5 rods out the back. Green Green Green. I like to use tandem rigs. They been working the best for me. 6 oz on the short and 4 oz on the long. Troll the deeper water (50 - 70 ft) and the sides of the channels. If you don't know where the fish are trolling is your best option.

day/night doesn't matter, you just need moving water.

the past three weekends ive gone out with a charter and we've had our limit with in an hour (8-10fish). most fish are 22-26inchs that we found.

Night fishing is easier because you just look for the birds working the light line.

during the day fish between the small boat channels up to the first, throw storms or other soft baits like that directly at the pilons. the newer pilons have been holding more fish. get on the up current side of the pilon and let the current take the bait past it. if your not getting any bites your not close enough to the pilons.

if you are looking for bigger fish you can find them in the deeper water, livelining/wirelining on top of the tubes can be productive. its still early for the big boys to come through. take him out in january and fish the ocean front. thats when you find the big boys. later in december you can also float live eels out up around the northern part of the CBBT