55 posts in this topic

looking for 2 long throwing surf sticks for chunks, conventional,,,willing to spend what ever it takes,,,I want the longest and the best,,,I toss 6oz's, standard for me, even with no current and will toss up to 10oz's +,,,I have ticas and can toss them far and they are very good for the $ but feel like they won't load as well as a top of the line rod,,,hopefully with a really good rod, I can even get it out there further,,,thanks in advance,,,Scott

St. Croix TSRS106MH2 would be my suggestion.

looking into the 12' range

St Croix has an 11' 6" for convents but thats as long as they go. nice rod for @$250.00

If MONEY is not the issue I would call Haterras Outfitters and talk with Tres and then talk to Wayne who is going to build you the Rods, They sell this thing called the OutCast and if you get the tip cut down it will cast 8nbait real nice however with six and bait its a rocket right close to 12 ft with the tip cut down. They also have the 2pc 1 pc rods Rainshadow they went to them because the blank builder left and went to Batson, The tips on those rods are like 9ft and the butts are about 3.5 ft Now just recently introduced is the same type of rod as above but in 2 equal lengths. Each of these rods are capable of tossing 8na big head very far in the right hands. Well I cant find the phone # for them but they do have a web site up and all there rods are posted. Wayne is one of the best. I own an outcast but in a spinning model and it is regular size 12.6ft light as a feather. Rated 10 oz WITH bait, It is perfect throwing chunks with 3 ands 4oz out to the bar easy, get into the heads and heavy 6s and 8s sacrifice the distance, this yr just got the 2pc1pc 1509 conventional rated 8nbait and it does just that if you know how to cast me still learning :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Cant say enough about the service HO provides.

What kind of reels are you using?

I am using 525 mags and diawa 30's,,,pier man recomended the 1509 and heard others recomend that one as well,,,I am really ready to upgrade my rods :D ,,I am itching so bad, that I may order one today.

When you got that itch you must scratch it, If you like the 6 and bait HO also makes a 2pc1pc in a lighter 1508, I would talk to tre and wayne about the outcast! You on SOL also? When I purchased the 1509 Rainshadow I also got the 525mag, used it and decided it was not for me. Recently sold and since ordered the Daiwa 30SV How many letters they got to use for a reel? :mrgreen: Not impressed with the 2006 version went with the latter model. One day with alot of practice I will be able to cast this rod and reel I got all summer on the fields. You know old rods are jealous when the new ones come to the beach, it took 1 season to break in the outcast and another to break in the 1509 My Fenwick Atlantic stick is constanly in competition now I just hope my older reels treat my new one alittle better in the fall. If you know somebody that can wrap a rod you might just buy the blank and get it wrapped??? HO great people.

I have heard mixed feedback about the outcast, a lot of people don't care for it. the new carbon fiber rods are the new hit. The nail is very heavy but it will chuck a toyota, the inferno is lighter but still a little heavy. The new fusion is the newest one and the lightest of the new carbon fiber rods, still a great 8'nBait rod. Century also make excellent rods but are a little on the pricey side. I have thrown the carbon metal version and it is an excellent rod, but at $305 just for the blank it is pretty expensive. The new rainshadow is the 1569 which is like the 1509 but is is 2 equal pieces instead of one 3' and one 9' piece. it is as light as a feather and will throw 10 and bait but that overloads it just a little bit. Tres from hatteras outfitters reccomends the 1569 over the outcast. I fished with Tres this last weekend and he was spankin' the drum with his 1569.

Rainshadow 1509 hands down to anything I have ever thrown. Not sure if Gary cut them down but they are about 12 6. I think he cuts 3 in off each end.

CG , have ya thrown the "fusion" yet ??

thats the next one on my list :)

derf

Oh man... I can't afford to keep up with ya anymore, Scott... Well, I guess I have a few months to save up my pennies. :-)

We can find a better deal than that, plus that's a NJ pick up only.

Rainshadow 1509 hands down to anything I have ever thrown. Not sure if Gary cut them down but they are about 12 6. I think he cuts 3 in off each end.

hmmm, brings-up a :?: for you guys....my arms are short and my butts are long :mrgreen: ummm...sorry....rod butts are long, so can I cut-off @3" or 4" off the butts to make them easier for me to handle or will that affect performance :?:

where in NJ? I can run across the bridge, and deliver to you in OC on any given weekend.

he doesnt say, could always say, ok meet me in cap may at the ferry station, and go as a passenger, only @ 10 i think

I pulled this off another site. It is written by Tommy Farmer, the best tournament caster in america. He can cast over 800'

The HDX is not available yet but will be soon.

Round 4.

Battle of the heavyweight heavers.

I felt like a test driver for road and track putting Porsches and Ferrari’s and Vettes through the paces…. Now if I could just figure out a way to get paid to do this…lol

Thanks to Clyde I was able to put my hands on an Inferno and a 1569 Rainshadow. He surprised me though when he was taping guides on the new Fusion when I pulled up in the drive. This is Tommy Wheelers latest carbon fiber heaver.

The reel used for testing was one of Clyde’s fishing reels. A 6500 blue yonder spooled up with 14 lb Suffix (I think). No mags, just brake blocks and ceramic bearings.

Sinker – 8oz 4 sided pyramid

Conditions, about 70 degrees, tailwind blowing 7-8 mph. Very light rain when I arrived, but it ended within a few minutes.

I threw two casts with each rod using a Hatteras style beach cast. The form seems to be coming back with this old standby cast. Here are the results in the order cast.

Fusion

1 – 523’

2 – 532’

I like this rod. It is lightweight, very powerful and fairly easy to load. The butt is very thin, a size 22 reel seat fits. Works well for my small hands. The only drawback to me is the 9’tip.

HDX

1 – 519’

2 - 531’

I’ve thrown the HDX quite a bit in the past 9 days. It is the lightest of the group, easy to load and very powerful. It would be a pleasure to hold for extended periods “point fishing”. Two equal sections make it easy to transport.

Inferno

1 – 522

2 – 512

It felt to be the heaviest rod in the group. It is also the most powerful. A full power Hatters cast with 8oz just begins to tap the power here. This would be the stick for tossing 10+ oz on a fast running beach. It reminds me a bit of the 2p/1p breakaway. Would not be my 1st choice in this group to hold for hours “point fishing”. Also has a 9’tip.

1 – 478

2 – 503

Very lightweight heaver. Easy to load and well balanced. Not quite as powerful as the other rods but I believe it would be a pleasure to fish. Two equal sections make transport easy.

It is amazing to me how much rod technology has improved in the past few years. My heavers are both 5-6 years old and the differences in weight and power vs these new rods are amazing.

I want one of each…lol

Nick,

I believe you have a winner in the HDX. The rod matches up nicely with the best heavers out there. Good job mate. I will get it packed up and sent back to you in the next day or so.

Tommy

When you do make your purchase please let us know. I think CG has you on track and as far as I have seen On AI 8n a BIG head well, history repeats itself every different season.

I can only utter one phrase:

OMG

with some recomendations, I decided to go with a 1509 or the 1569 and am going with a guy CG recomended, thanks CG,,,I'll get my feet wet with this one and see how it casts and plan for one more purchase of a different brand, maybe some of the ones peirman mentioned, before red season,,,I wanna get that bait out there!,,,thanks for all the replies and cant wait to toss it :D

thinking about also purchasing the breakaway ldx,,,any feedback,,,I figure this would be a very good economy stick for tossing smaller chunks and lighter weight when conditions warrant,,,she is 13' and harbor tackle has one,,,I have heard this baby can really fly a small chunk and 4/5 ozs,,,true?,,,I may even use it during the summer to poke around far out and around the bars for smaller variety of fish and during big fish season when current is light,,,how will it work for a big red or striper?

I have never heard of the breakaway ldx, they do make fine blanks though. I wanted some info from you Coop Not being nosey but it never occured to me that some day I might want another heaver built however, I met Gary and he showed me his rods and said that he builds them and at the time it never clicked because Im in process of learning to cast the conventionals I was askin for some casting lessons and he was very helpfull, I need his phone # so as to get him to build me one also. if its the same Gary I think it is he would not mind me calling. Thanks Ted

Ted,,,pm on the way,,,sorry about the late reply.

Ok,,,figure I would give a little equipment report on my new breakaway 13' ldx (import) that I bought from harbor tackle,,,with 4/5oz and a small chunk,,,she flies,,,I mean like a rocket,,,outcasted all ticas by alot with the same effort with a small chunk and 6ozs,,,5ozs maybe pushing the envelope but I felt like 5 ozs was the ideal weight, tho I heard 4oz is the sweet spot,,,I had a good cross wind, so I know she will go much further,,,with the wind behind my back or even no wind at all, I beleive I can get over the bar without a problem or way out on the sides of a cut, which is what I am striving for,,,not sure how it will work with a big drum, not exactly a stout rod but plan on using it for em anyway.

Just a few problems with the rod,,,1. when 5 doesn't hold, you cant use the rod,,,not really a big deal, I'll just go with my heavier rods,,,2. eye at the end seems to be very small, so I did away with the shock leader knot to improve on distance,,,being it only cast a max of 4/5ozs a shock leader really isnt necessary on 20lb line,,,this is really only an issue when it comes to landing a LARGE,,,I'll use 20 lb test line with a 3' section of 40 or 50 lb leader so the fish finder rides along the heavier line and not the 20lb line,,,other problem,,,with 20lb test on the 525, normally use 17lb, she emptied pretty quick on a cast,,,result, need a new reel :mrgreen: .

awsome rod and my favorite so far,,,hopefully it will work for a big drum,,,large stripers shouldnt be a problem,,,will also use during the summer for kings when they are not in close but out far.

Sounds like a sweet casting rod, another option to a new reel, by the way another reel very nice also :mrgreen: Is putting a bigger tip on and scaling down to 14 instead of 20. OR Get that new reel. Old Inlet put a new tip on a friends pole, and have had some other work done there myself probably do it while you wait. hope to meet you someday on the beach Ted