36 posts in this topic

ok,,,for the reds, what kind of structure do you look for,,,the same as stripers,,,cuts or big holes,,,personally, for stripers, seem like holes are the least productive and cuts are definitley the way to go,,,wondering if that is true for reds,,,or, would it be better to cast over the bar,,,I know AI has some wide trough areas but there are areas that I think I can heave it over the bar on the souther part of the island or at least wade out to bar and toss it,,,am willing to do that as well and will be getting a couple more daiwa 30 for that reason,,,my 525 just doesnt have the line capacity for that,,,thanks in advance.

Scott I fish for reds the same way in the fall as I do for rock but use just a little small cut of bait. Drum's don't have as big of mouth as rock do to just suck stuff up.

their mouths are smaller but not that much smaller, you can still just about fit your fist in a big reds mouth. But more importantly than size of bait is that you need to have fresh bait, the fresher the better. Sometimes I don't even buy my bait, I catch it.

follow-up :?:

do any of those fall Red's make it to the back bay behind AI in the shallows :?:

do any of those fall Red's make it to the back bay behind AI in the shallows :?:

ooh ooh wade fly time if they do!

ooh ooh wade fly time if they do!

Roger, thats what Im thinkin' 8) shallow water flatts fishing for Red's just like down south, don't sea why-not :?:

ok when where how. tell me im there.

If that happens i'm gonna have to be in the market for yet another rod. My 4 wt. may be just SLIGHTLY undersized for this... :lol:

ok when where how. tell me im there.

tell 'ya what we'll do, when Barb & I go on our vacation to OC in early August, we'll try-it out. I put you up on the bow of my boat wth your fly rod and we'll hit the shallows, humocks(sp) and islands down behind AI and see whats there :!:

Coop, sorry for jackin' your thread :wink: but your invited too :mrgreen:

might hafta try that, will they still be there then?

i may try and get down there some morning or late even before then and wade a bit

might hafta try that, will they still be there then?

i may try and get down there some morning or late even before then and wade a bit

don't know, but I will bring my boat down before vacation and we can try