14 posts in this topic

I don't have the equipment or knowledge to do this myself. I purchased a Rainshadow SU 1502 blank and need to have it built for Spinning. Will supply all components ( guides,reel seat, ect..) Don't need it done right away and don't need it to be anything fancy just done right by someone with experience on the cheap, Anyone wanna build a rod this winter? I am near the dc area. Thanks

honestly you can do this yourself. All you need is a cardboard box to do it.

Before you pay someone, do some research on how to build a rod yourself and then make the call on whether to pay someone to build.

I would bet, that unless you want a fancy wrap or weave pattern you can do this yourself.

honestly you can do this yourself. All you need is a cardboard box to do it.

Before you pay someone, do some research on how to build a rod yourself and then make the call on whether to pay someone to build.

I would bet, that unless you want a fancy wrap or weave pattern you can do this yourself.

i think that I read you have built a few, if so do you hand dry your wraps or have a drying machine? Spinning a rod for 8 hrs by hand on a card board box sounds crazy. I proly could build this rod myself but would like to find someone that is experienced,has the equipment and might like to wrap it at a reasonable price. Thanks

I did make myself a couple rods and I am working on a few right now. I started out without a dryer and did turn them by hand. Its not really a big deal, I just popped a movie in at watched it.

you don't have to turn it for 8 hours, My rods usually setup at around 2 hours.

Basically, for the first 15 minutes you turn the rod 180 degree's every 2 minutes. Then add a couple minutes onto the time between 180's.

0 - 15 min -- 1 turn every 2 minutes

15 - 30 min -- 1 turn every 5 minutes

30 - 60 min -- 1 turn every 10 minutes

Don't use those times as a hard fact, just use the concept and watch how your epoxy is setting up and adjust your times accordingly.

PS -- now that I have built a few rods I did buy a drying motor.

i think I could deal with a couple hours, that being said what kind of epoxy are you using that sets up that quick?

i have been looking into doing this myself and like you said if i keep it simple i should be able to do it. I have also thought about buying a very cheap drying machine for a one time shot under 30 dollars.

have you built a spinning rod before and if so I am curious to know how you determine the reel seat size? Thanks

i think I could deal with a couple hours, that being said what kind of epoxy are you using that sets up that quick?

i have been looking into doing this myself and like you said if i keep it simple i should be able to do it. I have also thought about buying a very cheap drying machine for a one time shot under 30 dollars.

have you built a spinning rod before and if so I am curious to know how you determine the reel seat size? Thanks

You can buy a good dryer from acidrod.com for like 45 bucks. I think its a pac bay and it comes with a roller stand as well.

As for reel seat size, you pick the seat that matches your hand. As long as its big enough to fit the reel into and will slide over the blank.

I been using flexcoat high build epoxy for my guides. Don't get me wrong the epoxy is not cured in 2 hours, its just to the point where it doesn't need to be turned anymore. It still needs to sit overnight to finish setting up.

Ok it's been awhile, heck everyones got them winter time blues! So with some good advice here I decided to wrap and or build the 1502 myself. Trial and error is the name of this game and even though it aint perfecto it is very fishable. Any way finished this week and wanted to thank everyone who encouraged me to do this on my own, Phone books and stands work well, I did get a drying motor, static deflection tests work well even though time consuming, casting tests after deflection tests went very well 100 to 120yrds with 6oz inside tennis ball without putting any effort into it, just reflecting on the work that goes into the build before wrapping the guides to the rod any way here are the pics. Quality of the pics well, at least you get the jist of the rod. Built as a Spinner 50,40,30,25,20,16 and 16 tip top. Thanks for everyones help!

IMG_1014.JPG.eb7fc919d38a3dbbcb52e586c1c

IMG_1015.JPG.86c9ab006a4727e57b6ffb48e29

IMG_1016.JPG.d3c983bf625c0a6886a35c74b0c

IMG_1017.JPG.00cf9cea144a101d107fede747c

Very, very nice!!! My #1 stick is a red 1502 that happens to wear a red 6500. Caught a lot of BIG fish on that stick and I'm sure you'll do well with yours. Great job!

Thanks Steve Z, I was going to PM you and let yu know I had posted some pics. Spring is coming!!!!!

Real nice job!!!! been thinking of giving it a shot myself but like everyone else a little leary! but if those Crown Royal bags give that smooth of a wrap i might have a shot Ha Ha!! GOOD JOB Hope to see you on A.I.

Nice job!! That looks a lot better than the first rod I did.

I think it is dry enough now that I can get it back on the field. Hopefully after attaching the hardware to the rod it hasn't changed the rods performance. The wraps are not any where near perfect, I found out real quick after applying the color presevative that some of the wraps were not tight enough to prevent bleed thrus. If I had thought it would have had an adverse effect on the strength of the wrap I would have re-done but since I think it is only a color thing I think it turned out pretty cool as it looks like a marbeling of the black and red threads instead of just the red. The Threadmaster epoxy is so clear (as of now) that it brings out the shine and shows all the defects in the wrap ten fold. Not a big issue with me and will post up results of the test casts ............ Thanks all

I think it is dry enough now that I can get it back on the field. Hopefully after attaching the hardware to the rod it hasn't changed the rods performance. The wraps are not any where near perfect, I found out real quick after applying the color presevative that some of the wraps were not tight enough to prevent bleed thrus. If I had thought it would have had an adverse effect on the strength of the wrap I would have re-done but since I think it is only a color thing I think it turned out pretty cool as it looks like a marbeling of the black and red threads instead of just the red. The Threadmaster epoxy is so clear (as of now) that it brings out the shine and shows all the defects in the wrap ten fold. Not a big issue with me and will post up results of the test casts ............ Thanks all

LOL --- thats the first thing I learned too. the finish will show every flaw in your wrap!

Don't worry about it though, its only cosmetic and won't affect the rods performance overtime. Also if you show your rod to someone on the beach they will never notice the flaws.

Test Casts: wind in face 15mph, Cow field taped out 300 ft and marked it. 5 oz stuffed in the tennis ball was consistently 80 to 90yrds. 6oz stuffed in tennis ball consistently 95 to 105yrds actually really put some backbone in a few that went a little further but I gotta save my back for the beach not the cow pies. Reel used is a penn 704z 17lb mono with a 50lb shock leader. I really like this rod and the real test will be with 6-8 and modified heads off the beach! Come on MAY!!!!!