11 posts in this topic

Hey Guys, Gals,

well i finally got out to the ditch on Sat and had a decent catch. i hit the water about 1:30 with the tide being pretty low and slack. i started out around the ditch but it was pretty slow and alot of boats in there catching not much of anything. So at about 2:30 i moved my wat back to the river and started to catch some real nice fish. By 4 PM i had 6 in the boat and threw back another 2 that were dinks. so 8 fish in about 2 hours. seems like there was no real bait of choice. caught most in about 12FT of water. i had another 3 fish on that i lost, one came off at the boat that was a nice fish but the other i never saw. all in all i would have to say it was a great afternoon. it seems like the specks are starting to stage around the ditch!!!!!!!!!! i have the pics just have not had time to transfer them to the computer, i'll try tonight but for now back to the ditch for another try. good luck to all!!!

Thanks for the report. when I drove over the High Rise Bridge yesterday I say quite a few boats out there and a few in the cove.

they are catching them up and down the E River, its not cold enough for them to be in the hot ditch yet. i know people that have been catching there limits closer to norfolk then the highrise...

Port Norfolk, West Norfolk or just about anywhere on the western branch of the same river. Not to mention the Layfayette, HRBT, LCJ, etc. Nicely enough they are again this year nearly everywhere, happy hunting.

pretty much what knot crazy said.....just got to find them. i work right on the E River and there are boats trolling back and forth all day long. Heard of some bigguns caught near the naval hostpital, near the ship yard, near the coal piers....

they are still catching them in side little creek inlet and ruddee as well.

I have a rockfish eeling trip planed for next Sat. night at the CBBT.I was thinking about trying the HOT Ditch for the first time on my way home from Virginia Beach. What are the best lures and tackle. I have directions to Chesapeake Yachts. Will I have any problem finding the Ditch or the cove from there? Thanks for any help.

Hey Mako,

When you get to the launch and your looking out into the water, the cove will be to the left about 500ish yards on the left side. The Ditch is straight foward about another 500 yrds on the right side. it is a creek that runs to the power plant but you cant get all the way back in due to a line shooting form one side to the other. Lately I have been having better luck out in the river that anywhere and as far as the color you will just have to experiment. Same with the baits, it's hard to tell which bait will work best that day. I dont use any live bait but alot of people do. I sue all artif. bait. i just seem to catch more fish on it. I hope it helps and good luck with the rockfish, have always wanted to get on some of them big boys.

Thanks Marshduck for the info. Weather is starting to look a little wet for this coming weekend, but I'm still looking forward to giving it a try. Are you using mainly soft baits, gulps etc?

typically mirror lures and gulps....colors vary on the day it seems.