4 posts in this topic

Took a detour driving home to VB from <acronym title="North Carolina"><acronym title="North Carolina"><acronym title="North Carolina"><acronym title="North Carolina"><acronym title="North Carolina"><acronym title="North Carolina">NC</acronym></acronym></acronym></acronym></acronym></acronym> Monday night. Thought I would try to drive on the beach and fish the surf for a couple of hours. Stopped by the Nags Head pier to check out the action. As I got to the end of the pier there was a young lady fighting a monster bull drum, 47". Five minutes later another 45" was C&R'd. 8 citations were landed that evening between 6-10 pm. SE wind and the surf was heavy. Most were caught off a bar at about 11 o'clock off the pier and only the longest heavers could reach, but the largest (50") was landed with a 7' rod & spinner close to the pier by a guy wearing cammo house slippers! lol! Of course, I made a bee line to my truck for my gear and fished from 8-10pm. No hook ups, but it was quite a night. I'll be heading back soon. Gonna get me some of those cammo house slippers too...

Here's a pic of a 45"er, best I could do with my cell phone at night.picture.php?albumid=163&pictureid=1375

i was down there about a month ago with nothing but a few large rays to show for it, ends up i missed the reds by a few days. that would be my luck. i come racing back here to fish the red drum tourney on AI and they show up in n.c. go figure, thanks for the post.

You bet Dave. Hopefully they'll hang around for us to get in on the action. If not, I'll keep chasing them south.

Thanks Steve! Those are the ones! I'm set now. Perfect for the chilly nites we've had lately...