18 posts in this topic

Some reports of reds, along with some of the usual suspects being caught from the beachfront. Nice time of the year to wet a line...feel free to post your reports here, fish or no fish.

My son and I just spent the last few days of September fishing AI. We hit the mornings hard as well as the evenings. Several skate, doggies and plenty of snapper blues were caught. Mornings were by far the best times to fish. I tried a variety of baits, including finger mullet, bunker, squid, peeler crabs and a variety of Gulp! products. The finger mullet worked great for the blues....just about every cast landed a small blue. The elusive Red Drum remained in hiding. I checked in with Harbor Tackle several times and there was very little news about Red Drum catches. Anyway, the trip was to have some fun with my 13 year old son. We had an excellent time and look forward to a November weekend when the blues are a little larger. Please feel free to send any helpful info. my way. Thanks.

Irish Mike

Nice report Mike...sounds like a great father and son fishing trip...November is right around the corner...chomper blues and stripers!

Fished in the OC surf tournament this past weekend on team OC Snappers.

The team consisted of

OCSnapper (Dave)

Trowpa (Steve)

Igormothra (Oliver)

Fishin'grl422 (Amanda)

Rob

Myself (Jim)

Not sure where we placed, but I would assume in the middle of the pack.

Anyways, lots of small blue fish around. The biggest blue was around 18" for us.

Other fish caught by us throughout the weekend were:

a big Stargazer

the obligitory skates

a couple small smooth dogfish

3 ft butterfly ray (broke off in the surf)

1 large tree branch

almost all of the blues we caught were on cut bluefish bait. Spot, bunker, mullet chunks, squid went pretty much untouched. Whole finger mullet on mullet rigs usually got a good bite. which leads me to another problem. Saturday the current was absolutely ripping and it was hard fishing. You needed 10oz and 12oz just to maintain a slow roll across the bottom. Well to launch those heavy weights we had to use our heavers. Well the bite detection for small blues on a heaver launched out into heavy current isn't a good scenario. We missed tons of blues because we couldn't feel the bites on the mullet rigs.

After being frustrated most of the afternoon session on the last day. I went to a drum rig setup with my heaver. I put out the biggest bunker head I could find and launched a 12oz weight and head as far as I could. I actually got a good cast off out in some deeper water. About 20 minutes later my rod doubles over and almost jumps out of the spike. My reel is singing and my whole team is running to my rod. I let it take drag for about 20 seconds and started to tighten it down. Once I got my drag on I got the fish turned and started to reel it in then it took another 10 second run and the line went slack......... Reeled my line in and the head was gone and now I am left wondering what hit my rod. I am guessing either a big striper or Drum but we will never know. I doubt it was ray because they usually just take a steady pull of line and don't really slam the bait, It turned too easily to be a big shark and had too much power to be a smaller shark.

Also of NOTE:

Friday morning the team right up from us landed a 31" striper. That is nice to see this time of year.

We were on team AMSA 1 and we finished in 13th surprisingly but our whole tournament consisted of blue fish and 1 small sandbar shark but I guess it's time to get ready for the amsa tourney in 2 weeks

What - no pelicans ? I wonder what category they would fall in...

from the beach today....a whole lot of nuttin

Fished Friday's low @ 1pm through saturday, and all day yesterday 8ish till 6. Rays, mobs of blues, a smoothie, a skate, Sandbars to 36, sunburn, and a mild case of monkey-butt from being wet. :BangHead:

Yesterday, on two occasions, i saw little mini balls of mullet darting around in the wash as i was trudging back to a spike.

fishing report for sun thru tue, sunday eve, caught a few kings, skate, and smooth doggies, monday got the same results, tue, although nothing caught, did see a massive number of dolphins in close to shore thrashing around and breaching, lots of jelly fish washing up, and lots of glowing sand fleas in the wash after dark, kinda looked like lightning in the water when the waves were crashing. started tue usuing 6oz to hold but finished with 8's, wind picked up from se. starting to think i will be drum less this fall (again). put in well over 150 hours this fall. maybe this sunday will change things but i doubt it.

nuttin from the beach today...nice east wind blowin.

..nice east wind blowin.

I like the sound of that!

hit tht beach yesterday and today, kings,skate, and blues, wind was blowin hard east this eve.

Took my first fishing trip to OC/AI. Been there many times but this was the first fishing. Left late Saturday.

Got to the OC Rt50 bridge at 1230am Sunday. They were catching stripers, but nothing I saw was a keeper. I fished the OC inlet 1-3am. Caught a lot of blue in the 10-12 inch range. Kept some for bait.

Sunday, after a little sleep, fished the beach at AI. I am a walker so I fished near the South Beach parking area. I used cut blue, cut bunker, and finger mullet. Only thing I managed to catch was more small blue. Also used salted shrimp and salted squid. Something was eating it but never caught anything on it. Also threw some metal lures in the surf to pass some time but got nothing.

Checked out the fishing in OC between 2nd and 4th bay side. They were catching quite a few tog using crabs. Only a few were keepers.

I'll probably head back in two weeks and try again.

Took my first fishing trip to <acronym title="Ocean City">OC</acronym>/<acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym>. Been there many times but this was the first fishing. Left late Saturday.

Got to the <acronym title="Ocean City">OC</acronym> Rt50 bridge at 1230am Sunday. They were catching stripers, but nothing I saw was a keeper. I fished the <acronym title="Ocean City">OC</acronym> inlet 1-3am. Caught a lot of blue in the 10-12 inch range. Kept some for bait.

Sunday, after a little sleep, fished the beach at <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym>. I am a walker so I fished near the South Beach parking area. I used cut blue, cut bunker, and finger mullet. Only thing I managed to catch was more small blue. Also used salted shrimp and salted squid. Something was eating it but never caught anything on it. Also threw some metal lures in the surf to pass some time but got nothing.

Checked out the fishing in <acronym title="Ocean City">OC</acronym> between 2nd and 4th bay side. They were catching quite a few tog using crabs. Only a few were keepers.

I'll probably head back in two weeks and try again.

Glad you were able to make it out! Don't get frustrated, they'll be there when you least expect it!

Was fishing on 11th street smallllllll blues. Saw those trawlers out there just off shore wonder how many fish they caught that never got a chance to get to me :-(

Was fishing on 11th street smallllllll blues. (

Tom, were the snappers tearing everything up in minutes?

yea they were out in force.....but really small guys. Wondered how they got their mouths over the treble hook on my Hopkins Lure

Went fishing in the Eastern Bay Sat. Rainy windy and cold. Chased sea gulls all over the place. Caught a bunch of little ones but we did manage 3 keepers up to 26 inches.:coffee2: