14 posts in this topic

Do you need to use a shock leader when using a 3 way swivel? in one of shock leader threads someone posted that you dont need a shockleader when using a 3 way swivel. Just would like to know what your opinions are.

Shock leaders like other things come down to personal preference. I myself don't use one but every now and then I use one on one rod to check and test it out myself..

Give it a try and if you like it stick with it or not... Good luck.

If you need a shocker it doesn't matter what type of rig is on the end...that is not the purpose of the shock leader.

To answer your question, yes...

use a shock leader if your casting, like from a shoreline....dropping a line from a boat, shocker really not necessary.

A few wraps of shock around the spool will keep the line from snapping when tossing 8nBait.

I use 50 lb.

do you use mono or braid for the shock leader.never used braid,and what knot do you use.

Always use mono for shock, it stretches, braid does not.

There are so many knots, everyone has their favorite.

Just poke about in here and you will find them all.

Definitely use mono. As mentioned above, when throwing from the beach, you should use a shock for safety reasons. A three-way swivel does nothing for you if you're casting other than introduce more potential weak points in the line from a knot perspective.

Typical rule of thumb is 10 lb test for every ounce of lead you're throwing. In otherwords, if you're a throwing 5 oz. lead weight, you'll want 50 lb test for your shock leader. That said, use enough leader so that it doubles the length of your rod and you have a few wraps around your spool (for re-tying). As Steve said, 50lb test is enough for the shock.

Everyone has their preference of knots for tying main line to leader and it really depends on what you're comfortable with and can tie reasonably well. I've found the bimini twist tied to a no-name work very well. When in a pounding surf and needing to re-tie quickly a spider hitch to a no-name works great and is very easy to tie.

Definitely use mono. As mentioned above, when throwing from the beach, you should use a shock for safety reasons. A three-way swivel does nothing for you if you're casting other than introduce more potential weak points in the line from a knot perspective.

Typical rule of thumb is 10 lb test for every ounce of lead you're throwing. In otherwords, if you're a throwing 5 oz. lead weight, you'll want 50 lb test for your shock leader. That said, use enough leader so that it doubles the length of your rod and you have a few wraps around your spool (for re-tying). As Steve said, 50lb test is enough for the shock.

Everyone has their preference of knots for tying main line to leader and it really depends on what you're comfortable with and can tie reasonably well. I've found the bimini twist tied to a no-name work very well. When in a pounding surf and needing to re-tie quickly a spider hitch to a no-name works great and is very easy to tie.

I can vouch for the spider hitch to NO name knot. Its all I use for shock leaders.

I've been using a "slim beauty" knot for attaching my shock leader to main line. By the way, why do some guys have "new member" and some have "active angler" under their name??

I've been using a "slim beauty" knot for attaching my shock leader to main line. By the way, why do some guys have "new member" and some have "active angler" under their name??

Title under you name goes by how many post you have made.

a lot of people use that knot with great results. The only thing I don't like about it, is its pretty hard to tie in less than ideal conditions.

The Slim Beauty isn't that hard after you do it a couple of times, and it seems more tapered than the

blood knot and some others, goes through the eyes better, I think. I've been using 50 lb shock, 20 lb running line and 80 lb for my leaders. Snelling the hooks with that 80 lb , ain't no fun!

:hello:There are quite a few dot com knot sites,I would suggest you pick up a copy of "VIC DUNAWAY",Complete book of baits,rigs and tackle. A lot of useful info.Includes the spider hitch and bimini twist.The spider is a bit easier to tie,you might want to start with that before attempting a bimini.It test's 100% of line lb. test.It works well for me offshore.

DSC00050.jpg.f516b2e95d48c02f21d15df8d9c

5852a58891c65_DSC00020cropped.jpg.fa669d