12 posts in this topic

Which spinning reel?

Debating on 3 reels to team up with a 12' Ugly Stick.

Penn Slammer 760

Penn Spinfisher 850 or 950

Shimano Spheros SP18000F

Basically bait n wait setups. Fishing for Shark, Rays, not sure how these would do for Striper or casting repeatedly. But I plan on spooling with 80# PP.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I plan on getting a 525 Mag with 12' Ocean Master for Christmas, but in the mean time I got this 12' Ugly Stick just chillin' in a corner and it's begging to have something thrown on it and taken out.

Thanks again,

Badgoat

Didn't see the Shimano Baitrunner on the BPS website as that is where I will be going in person to pick up my new reel.

So, back to my original choices that I mentioned. If there is another great choice outside of those 3 available at BPS within the $175 range I am open to more suggestions.

Badgoat

I bet bass pro shop has the bait-runner in their store. The 6500B usually costs around $120.

If i had to choose between the three you listed I would probably save my money, I personally don't like the newer Penn spinning reels and the spheros that you have listed is $50 dollars more than the bait runner reel, but if I really had to choose it would be the spheros hands down.

Another option is that a nice Penn Mag 525 will work fine on your current Ugly stick. For the most part you can get away with using a casting reel on a spinning rod, but you can't use a spinning reel on a casting rod. I used to use my Penn 525's on a Tica spinning rod all the time and never had a problem.

I was just thinking, Shimano is releasing a new improved version of the baitrunner very soon if not already. Maybe thats why Bass Pro's website isn't up to date.

I was at Bass Pro yesterday. They had the Shinmano Baitrunner D series. I was looking at the Baitrunner 8000D. Didn't see any Baitrunner xxxxB reels.

(I'm trying to decide between the Baitrunner and the Penn Slammer Liveliner.)

If Badgoat is considering the Penn Slammer 760, should he also look at the Penn Slammer 760L (Liveliner)?

Do people like the liveliner?

The D series are the new improved version of the B series. I havn't personally seen them yet, but the reviews I read were all good about the D series. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if the price was right.

Ok, stopped in BPS today and I ordered a Shimano Baitrunner 12000D to be spooled with #80 PP.

I was trying to decide between the Shimano Baitrunner, the Penn Slammer Liveliner, and the Daiwa Sealine Black Bite & Run. Based on input from the forum I went with the Baitrunner. I opted for the 8000D (20 oz) rather than the 12000D (30oz) because of the weight.

Thank you to everyone for the input.