5 posts in this topic

I am trying to get to the beach around Oct. 16 and wondered where the "Hot Spot" was Assateaue or Outer banks? Looking for Striper or Drum from the surf, but want best chance to bring something into the beach.

Please point me in the right direction:happy3:

Thank you!

Hey there, its a crap shoot at best. Follow the reports in both places. There will still be drum around but spotty, a little early for the big push of stripers. Should be some blues.

If you head South to OBX, you may want to fish the Northern beaches.

Just got back from the north Beaches in OBX. There is not a ton of action in Corolla (north 4x4 section). The first big Drum were caught last week in the early evening.

if you were going to make the trek down to the OBX I would definitely check out the Point in Buxton and south. The point is a national park that you can drive on 4x4 of course. You will want your heavers out for that trip. If you fish the south side of the point, be prepared to run into a lot of people fishing for the reds. There have been some really good catches of Reds being reported up to 45". If you do not have a Rod that can throw 8 & Bait you will want to stay towards the north side of the point. The locals can be a little restless if you do not have the right setup. The point can get crowded but is still a great place to fish.

If you head to the north Beaches stop in and see Keith or Jill at Corolla Bait & tackle for the latest reports.

If you head south stop at Red Drum tackle and talk to the folks down there to figure out what is hot. Latest week they were catching everything.

One more thing, there is a night time driving ban from Oregon Inlet and south due to the fall Migration. It is in place from 9/15-11/15. Unfortunately I found this out the hard way.

Thank you for the information! It has been a couple years since I have fished the point. Although I didn't catch anything, I enjoyed watching "the dance" or rotation of men and lines casting and catching reds on the point.

I plan to have my son (7) with me on this trip and I don't know that he is ready for the crowd at the point. We may be better off a little further north.

Once again, I appreciate your help! I'll keep watching the reports.