6 posts in this topic

Well, I've done my fair share of offshore and pier fishing in the <acronym title="Outer Banks">OBX</acronym>, but <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym> is new to me. I spent a few days this past August surf fishing with my son at <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym> (4-5 miles down the beach). I'm sure I have the right gear, the right bait, etc. but we caught very few fish. I even planned our fishing so it correlated with an incoming tide in the evening. My son is fascinated with catching a decent sized shark, so we did try to target them, among other fish, when we were there. I learned a few things from watching others and we now have a kayak to run our baits out. I'm just not sure, however, that this is the right time of the year to still do it. Anyway, we will be back down <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym> on Sept. 26 - 28. Can anyone make any recommendations for a successful shark fishing experience? If we elect not to use the kayak, is it possible to catch some decent sized sharks from casting from the beach? Also, if we do kayak the baits out, how far do we need to take them? I see where the waves first start to rise up, and I'm trying to use those as a reference point. Is it much further than where the waves start to crest? Sorry for all the questions...just trying to make sure my best buddy and I have a great time. Thanks for any input. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions prior to leaving for <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym>.

Irish Mike

Mike,

First let me say, Welcome to the site.

There are still some Sandtigers out there, not as big, but they are there. Just about any big baits will due. You will have to put some time in tho. Nightime fishing is best for these sharks.

Yes, you can cast out for them. Not an expert on yakking baits out.

Mike - A great site to learn the basics and beyond about surf-fishing for shark is Texas Shark Fishing. I am also new to shark fishing, but have learned a great deal from the site.

When kayaking bait out, I go 200-300 yards out. I would strongly recommend having at least one other adult with you to help with bait deployment and the catch and release of the shark. I have found it helpful to have a two-way radio with me in the kayak so I can communicate with the "team" on the beach. It is really easy to have wind and waves take you off course. If there are others on the beach you can also loose your point of refrence once you get out.

16/0 and 20/0 circle hooks are my first choice in hooks. You can get Mustad hooks and all the leader materials, crimps, etc. at leadertec.com. My preference is seven feet of 480lb multistrand cable from the hook to a 400lb swivel then another 7feet of 400lb mono to another swivel and the main line. You can substitite the 400lb mono with .95 string trimmer line. The wead eater line works great and is higly visable, which helps when you are trying to bring the shark to sand. All conections are secured with two copper crimps. The main line I use is a 60lb for my penn 9/0 and 100lb for my 14/0.

I typically use a fish finder rig on the 400lb leader with at least 8oz's of lead.

I keep a "catch and release bag" filled with leather work gloves, bolt cutters, long pliers, and a tail rope. You will want all of those items ready to go. Also, a gimbel belt is a must for those big sharks.

Oh - Don't forget a camera!

Thanks for the info. My son and I are ready to roll this weekend so hopefully the weather and fish cooperate with us!

Mike, all the info you need is right here.

If you can tolerate staying in the water, sharks will be here, we all like the warmer water, LOL!

Yep, a slab of Bunker on a 16/0 will do fine. Be sure to use steel leader.

Check at the top of the page, click articles and then on beach sharkin'.

A daytime run with the yak should be out past the outer sandbar, depending on how much line you have. Shark will pull out a lot of line.

The nice thing is, a nice fat Red Drum may take the bait too, I have had that happen to me.

Especially at night, Sharks will cruise just behind the surf break, so you don't need to heave it out.

Have fun, it's great to share the experience with a kid!

(of any age, LOL!)