4 posts in this topic

As we were leaving Assateague yesterday a gentleman stopped us at the pumps and asked us if we would answer a few survey questions. He identified the company he was with (which I don't remember the name of) and said the information was being collected for NOAA. I asked a few questions and he assured us the information was not to be used for setting limits or minimum sizes.

The questions included what state/county we lived in; how many days last year we saltwater fished; how many days in the last two months; had we ever bought a new vehicle specifically for fishing/hunting; had we caught anything; what were we fishing for.

I didn't think anything of it until tonight when we were at the GMP meeting I asked a few people if they had seen him or knew what the information was being collected for. The park service lady who was listening asked me to hold on a moment and grabbed a gentleman and asked me to repeat myself. He said they are to have permission and they were not aware that he was there.

So.. did anyone else get stopped? and if so, did you happen to get any information. I have the name and email of the park service employee I talked to - he said if they email or send me anything to forward it on to him so he can look into it - he seemed genuinely concerned.

Yes, I was also surveyed on Sunday.

Question, While fishing on Sunday a 4 wheel all terrain buggy/cart came down the beach,fishing poles and gear plainly in view, is this permitted?

I thought that it wasn't but I saw a ranger driving the beach (perhaps 20 min later) and I never saw the buggy leave.

If the buggy is street legal and meets all the OSV requirements it can be on the beach.